ATT acc. owner buying iPhone for other members in family plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by drfluid, Jul 23, 2008.

1. drfluid macrumors newbie

I'm an account owner (primary user) for an ATT account with 2 lines in one Family plan (I and the wife).

Can I buy an iPhone for my wife without accompanying with her to the apple store?
    I don't see why not, but if it's possible should I at least bring her old phone for any reason?

This would be kinda semi-surprise present for her, I guess. :)

2. downwardspiral macrumors newbie

That is what I did. I am the primary account holder. I bought two phones. The primary account holder can add a line.

3. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

There should be no problem at all. Only thing is they will have to activate a new sim card for her line, which will disable her current sim card and her phone won't work.

Other than that, you won't need to bring her old phone.

4. TonyMil macrumors member

You should be ok to handle this without her.
    The only catch is that once you activate the new phone her old one will stop working. Can you imagine her phone quits and she calls AT&T to find out why?

5. robhedin macrumors regular

I walked into the Tampa Apple store on the 11th by myself and walked out with one iPhone 3G for each line we have (2 total). I saw several other people doing the same-- one person walked out with 5.

rob.

6. drfluid thread starter macrumors newbie

That's why I figured it would be a 'semi-surprise' gift for her. :)
    I think I should call her (to her office) immediately after I activate a new SIM for her.

Thanks.