ATT: Anyone else been haggled over tethering?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CrackerJackToy, Nov 17, 2011.

1. CrackerJackToy macrumors 6502

CrackerJackToy

The first week or second week of September, I was at my girlfriends house with my laptop, and about to take an online test. For some reason or another, her wifi wasnt working properly. So I opened MyWi on my iPhone 4, synced it with my laptop and took the test. The test was only 10 questions and took about 3 minutes to do. I immediately cut off tethering on my iPhone to preserve the battery and that was it. (Hadnt tethered in 6+ months)

A couple weeks ago (6 weeks later from tethering), I get an email, a letter, and a text message saying I have been tethering and if it happens again they will automatically add the tethering package to my account. I had totally forgotten about taking the online test, and called 611. The rep told me 'it doesnt matter how much data you use, but the connection type, and we can instantly see when you begin tethering'.

Has anyone else been told this information? And can you verify that its true? It happened to me, so I guess it has to be true. I wouldnt assume this test was more than 1 or 2 mb TOTAL for tethering, so no way was I abusing it.

Thanks

2. nmork macrumors regular

Hasn't happened to me, but yeah AT&T has been doing that for months now. It's true, and they will change your plan. I know several people that've had it done to them.

Personally I use TetherMe (enables native iOS hotspot) and used to frequently tether my PS3 to stream netflix, although I haven't used it at all since iOS 5 released.

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Ummm, you either have tethering in your plan or you don't. All this talk of using it just a little is like talking about being a little bit pregnant. You either are, or you are not.

Sorry, may seem unfair but it is what it is. You need to pay for tethering, 1kb or 1mb or 1gb, or not tether. And if you tether (just a little bit), AT&T is well within its right to add that tethering option to your account and charge you.

Yes, I know, the audacity of wanting to get paid... :rolleyes:

4. CrackerJackToy thread starter macrumors 6502

CrackerJackToy

I fully understand this already. My question behind the thread is if someone can verify that it is based on a connection type, rather than data used.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

What do you mean, connection type? I'm oddly lost.

At this point who cares if it is data used or "connection type." Tether and you'll pay; don't and you won't. Seems simple.

6. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

I can't personally verify but it seems like you got your answer from the rep you spoke with, as stated in your original post.

7. zephxiii macrumors 6502

Don't use MyWi. I have been using a different work around and I have never been bothered. Though for the past month i've been using an N1.

8. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

It's the 21st century. It wouldn't surprise me if they new exactly what app generated what specific byte of access. But the point is moot. Whether they can or not they obviously found you, so the free ride is over. Time to pay the piper...

9. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

I believe it's to do with the TTL of the data packets.

10. CrackerJackToy thread starter macrumors 6502

CrackerJackToy

I am not interested in future tethering. Im just curious how they could see it. Thanks for the informative post! ^^^

11. Jumpie macrumors 6502a

Jumpie

This is what kills me about these types of questions. OP asks a valid question about "how" at&t can tell, what type of connection, etc. Someone automatically comes back with the typical "...if you're doing it, it's wrong. at&t can charge..." blah blah blah.

If those who know just answer the question and those who don't, don't bother answering or giving opinions. It's those same people who run a red light and try to talk their way out of it with the cop. Admit you ran the light and pay.

Now, use Firefox and search for a Tool called Default User Agent and spoof the data packets as an iPhone browser; that may work.

12. CrackerJackToy thread starter macrumors 6502

CrackerJackToy

Exactly. I had to face palm myself multiple times when I read this thread, but didnt want to be the first person to point it out. Thank you kind sir.

13. Digidesign macrumors 6502

Worth checking out the MyWi forums, someone asked a similar question here.

Also a good read from MacLife:
    How A&T Tracks Unauthorized Tethering on Jailbroken iPhones

That sucks to hear about MyWi. Goodbye my $15! I traveled with a wifi-only iPad back in mid-Oct and used MyWi on a 3GS running iOS 4.3.4. Probably used ~100-200mb but haven't heard anything from AT&T (yet... knock on wood).

14. omegle macrumors newbie

They can tell just by the size and type of packets going out over the data connection. They can also tell that you're using a computer web browser and not a mobile one.

15. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

They texted, wrote a letter and emailed me as well about this. I called them, let them know I do not tether, the lady asked me if my iphone is jailbroken to which I replied no. I then switched mywi to pdanet and used the hide usage option. I havent gotten any communication from them since, although I have a 4s since launch.

I believe it is only with the amount of data used on the account, it is then flagged as "tethering" and most of the time the high usage accounts actually are tethering so they admit to it because they are scared and AT&T gains more $$$$