ATT & Apple Policy on exchanges for the iPhone 5 at Launch

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KBS756, Sep 19, 2012.

1. KBS756 macrumors 6502a

Say for some reason you receive an iPhone that has some kind of defect and would like it to exchange it or replace it at launch. Or you pre-ordered an iPhone from AT&T and decide soon after receiving it that you'd actually like a larger capacity. Does anyone know how AT&T would treat this and if this would even be possible? Thanks

2. KBS756 thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

You have 30 days to return the iPhone. If you purchased from Apple online, you aren't able to return it in a retail store; you'll have to send it back via mail. That's pretty much the only limitation, I believe.

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

You have 30 days to return the phone, but you have 3 days to return your phone and get your activation fee back, after 3 days AT&T keeps the $36.

In the last 30 days I tried out two other phones and now I owe an extra $70 on my bill and come friday they will add another $35.

Keep that in mind when returning/exchanging your phone.

5. KBS756 thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. dwreck macrumors member

Certain restrictions apply:

"Note: An iPhone purchased on the Apple Online Store is ineligible for return to an Apple Retail Store."

http://store.apple.com/us/help/returns_refund

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

Thanks, I didn't notice that. :eek:

8. Iphoneness macrumors 6502

Iphoneness

I'm guessing if a 5 is preordered from Apple.com, it cannot be exchanged at an AT&T store, correct?

9. schizbomb macrumors 6502

If it's defective, the genius bar will take care of you.

If you simply wanna change capacity or color, gotta send it back to Apple, they won't help you in store, at all.

10. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

WTF? Why is this? If something was wrong with my iPhone I can't take it back to the Apple store for an exchange? Or does the above only apply to returns (e.g. I don't want my phone anymore).

11. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

Defects are handled by the Apple Store and they should have stock from day one for swaps. You would need a genius appointment for this.

Exchanges purchased from AT&T would be handled by AT&T and you would most likely have to wait for it.

12. brianbunge macrumors 6502

brianbunge

If you ordered it directly from AT&T you can take it into a company-owned retail store and exchange it for a larger capacity device if you would like. You will pay the difference plus a $35 restocking fee. The ONLY way the restocking fee is waived is if the phone has not been opened at all.

If there is a problem with the phone, AT&T will not exchange it. You will have to take it to an Apple Store to take care of that.