ATT bring own phone over?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jedi5, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Jedi5 macrumors 6502

Jedi5

Does ATT allow you to bring your own phone over and all need to do is just sign a contract with them?

I'm thisclose to leaving TMO with all problems I'm having with with their service. As much as I don't want to, I'm going to upgrade to the 5s and *hope* that my service improves with the newer phone. Hopefully with the newer phone, all these problems I'm currently having will be a thing of the past.

But... but if there is no improvement and I leave, ATT will allow you bring your own phone and all you do is just sign a contract, right?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

What makes you think that all the carrier issues you have now will just go away if you get a 5S?
    If you have bad service in your location with Tmobile then it is what it is.
    Just bring your device to AT&T and if you don't get a subsidy then you don't have to sign a contract. You can be month to month and free to leave at any time.

3. Mrbobb macrumors 601

If signal is bad everywhere then it's the phone. If signal bad at just certain locations then it's the carrier. Sounds like u haven't ascertain this variable.

If TMO phone already unlocked, u should be able to get Att service no prob.

4. madsci954 macrumors 68030

I'm gonna take a gamble and say it's tmobile's fault, so updating your phone to a 5S will make no difference. The issues would be on tmobile's end and you would have to wait until they fix it.

If your phone is unlocked, yes, you can bring it over to AT&T. When you set the line up, you won't be on a contract since the phone is yours, so you can upgrade whenever and no ETFs if you want to leave.

5. xmaseve macrumors regular

Did you but the T-Mobile version? If so, they will unlock it for you after 40 days as long as it's been paid off. I tried T-Mobile and had terrible service in rural areas (heck, even in big cities inside buildings) and went right back to AT&T. Almost everywhere is go I have LTE with AT&T, even inside buildings! :)

6. CEmajr macrumors 601

You can bring your own phone to AT&T but you might as well just sign a contract and get a phone too. There's no point in paying them for a subsidy and not using it.

You could try their prepaid though. I think it's only $60 now.

7. xmaseve macrumors regular

I have found you get better customer service from them when you aren't under contract. I had some service issues a few weeks ago and I didn't even have to ask them and they gave me $50 credit.

8. 617aircav Suspended

If you bring your own phone get the prepaid plan. No point paying $40 more for the same plan without a subsidy.

9. Jedi5 thread starter macrumors 6502

Jedi5

I think it's a combo of TMO and me still using my 4S.
    I didn't upgrade to the 5 because honestly, I didn't think or was expecting the 4S would be having so many problems. It's like night and day. All issues I am now with TMO, I NEVER had with ATT.

No, I didn't buy a new phone. I brought my old 4S from ATT over to TMO.
    I'm in the same boat with service and reception like you experienced.

Thanks, I wasn't even thinking about prepaid.

----------

Thanks all for the help and suggestions!

Don't know how I missed it but I just saw on the ATT page that you can bring
    over your own phone... sigh.