ATT CEO office/Unlock

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DerekRod, Mar 5, 2012.

1. DerekRod macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

After speaking to a really nice lady from the "CEO's office" about an issue I brought up how AT&T doesn't unlock phones but Sprint and Verizon does international sim unlocks.Her response was that AT&T is evaluating changes since they are no longer an exclusive carrier they are evaluating their policies and that I should expect to see a change in a few months.Sounds cool but I stopped holding my breath

2. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Translation, "I'm not going to say anything is going to happen, but I'll get you to stay with and pay AT&T for (at least) a few more months while I dangle the possibility carrot in front of you."

3. DerekRod thread starter macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

Lol not exactly my 4S is unlocked and so was my 4 I don't buy locked phones since I travel to visit my parents in the UK every so often

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yep, dont hold your breath.
    She just told you what you wanted to hear. Maybe down the road etc...
    It would be great if they did though.

5. PharmDoc macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I told them the exact same thing about 1 month ago and I emphasized that Verizon/sprint unlock the phones for their loyal customers and AT&T should as well. The guy who called me from the presidents office wasn't aware that Verizon/sprint did that but he said he will pass the message on. Let's see....

6. DerekRod thread starter macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

Apparently FCC complaints get more of a listen then anything else

7. sk1wbw macrumors 68040

sk1wbw

They're trying to come up with a new cash revenue system to unlock... Knowing ATT, that's what they're waiting for.

8. pdr13 macrumors member

www.fcc.gov/complaints

(1) Be Sure To File An "Informal Complaint" vs. a "Formal Complaint". An Informal Complaints Insures That There Is No Cost To You. A Formal Complaint Is Used To Lay The Groundwork For A Law Suit ... Big $$$.

(2) Be Sure To Use The Term "Violations of Policies That Are In Development". This Covers Grey Areas Which Are Yet To Be Defined Under Current Laws.

9. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

How is filing a complaint with the FCC even remotely relevant to this thread?!?

10. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Regardless of what was said, it seems the next logical step for ATT. They could easily provide an unlock for overseas, which is I think what most people who own an iPhone on their network really want anyway.

11. pdr13 macrumors member

Perhaps when the starter of this thred mentioned "policies and that I should expect to see a change in"? Ya Think?

12. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

No, since the FCC would have no say over if AT&T unlocks their phones or not.

13. PharmDoc macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

What if a lot of members of this forum do the same thing we did and email randall Stevenson and voice their concerns when they get a call back. Just emphasize that Verizon and Sprint unlock the iPhone for customers in good standing.

14. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

If everyone who visited this entire site, not just the forums - and regardless of what carrier they used, voiced their concerns, it'd still be just a few percent of their US customer base... and not likely to make any changes.

15. PharmDoc macrumors 6502

True but I don't think it would hurt.

16. DerekRod thread starter macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

Sadly the FCC needs to force these companies to do the right thing.Regulations work sometimes they keep us from being strong armed by these telcos

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hear you but those big billion dollar companies have politicians in their pockets.
    So instead of trying to protect and help the average taxpaying consumer they look after their contributors best interests.

18. Ajones330 macrumors 6502a

Ajones330

At this point they might as well unlock them, showing good faith could only help their already bad pr right now...

19. DerekRod thread starter macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

Oh I know,Its a bloody shame though that we get shafted this whole no unlock/CDMA/GSM conundrum kills us here

20. pdr13 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Where exactly do you get your data regarding percentage Cyks? Are you speaking factually or just blowing wind out of your ass again?

21. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Verizon - 108 million subscribers
    AT&T - 103 million subscribers
    Sprint - 53 million subscribers

MacRumors - 1.3 million hit per day (total site)

Even if he pulled it out of his ass he's still right, don't get an inflated view of the number of people that visit here, are AT&T subscribers, need their phone unlocked, and have the presence of mind to actually do something about it.

22. aristobrat macrumors G4

Being able to have an "official" internationally unlocked iPhone was the #1 reason I left AT&T for Verizon.

When the next iPhone comes out, I'd love to switch back to AT&T. If they change that policy, then I will.

23. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

That doesn't mean a person with a valid concern shouldn't try. There are certainly other people out there who know that complaining the FCC is a possibility, and we can contribute to that.

Or, we could easily extend your argument. Why bother complaining about features we want in iOS? We're such a small percentage of Apple's customer base that it's not even worth giving them feedback, right?

In fact, why even vote?

24. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

If you want a AT&T in the US and unlocked while abroad, may as well buy a factory unlocked model. Might be cheaper than paying an ETF to move from Verizon back to AT&T (if and when they offer to unlock the phone - which might not be until your contract is expired anyway).

For me, I'm happy with Verizon in the US and I'm unlocked for foreign SIMs.

25. DerekRod thread starter macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

Well my point is basically this my 3GS is off contract I fulfiled my contract but AT&T wont unlock it which makes it useless to me when I leave the country.If I payed for the phone via a 2 year contract the phone is mine.But with AT&T the phone well the iPhone anyway is not fully yours