Carrier ATT ends traditional family plan w/ unlimited data

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dvrmstrng, Oct 25, 2013.

1. dvrmstrng macrumors 6502

I just spent about 2 hours in the local ATT store to attempt to add a "ghost/dummy" line to my unlimited data single line plan with no success. I was passed up the chain on the phone with ATT several times with no results. I was informed that literally as of today (10/25/2013) ATT no longer allows grandfathered single line unlimited data plans add a line and keep the unlimited data, there must already be a second line on the plan or you must give up your data and move to a mobile share plan. In the end I was offered a full upgrade almost 1.5 years early on the iPhone 5S for either $199 or $299 depending on size. They also advised they would waive the upgrade fee and shipping.

At this point though I passed on their deal. Instead I am going to buy a used phone from craigslist and seriously consider changing carriers. I can't stand the way they will do anything to make a buck although I fear it is common practice regardless of carrier.

2. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Yeah, this announcement came out a week or two ago I believe. New customers or old customers opening new lines are being forced onto the more expensive shared plans. However, I'd really reconsider giving up your AT&T unlimited over this. Grandfathered unlimited data on AT&T or Verizon have become golden. Was the point of adding a dummy line to enable you to upgrade every year?

3. Jades macrumors 6502

Have you tried calling customer care? Sometimes they can do things that stores can't. Especially if you get hold of one of the higher ups

4. dave420 macrumors 65816

Yea it definitely was announced ahead of time, but of course it is easy to miss if you don't follow the news carefully. It does sound like they offered you a prettty good deal though with an upgrade 18 months early. If I'm reading that right it would have only extended your contract by 6 months. If you were planning on changing carriers anyway you probably could have sold the new phone to pay for the ETF.

5. Bowsa2511 macrumors regular

6. Ajones330 macrumors 6502a

Ajones330

Not to sound like a douche but they announced this 2 weeks ago and basically said if you are grandfathered you can keep what you have but any new lines are subject to the new mobile share plans. Allowing you to upgrade early for the standard fee is actually a very nice gesture they really didn't have to do. Only carrier to choose from that will probably give you what you want is Tmobile and behind all the smoke n mirrors is the same thing with any cell phone carrier. Making a profit!!!

7. AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

If you decide to stick with AT&T, make sure they send you an email specifying the details of what they promise you. We upgraded to the iPhone 5 in March and were promised credits to our bill that would effectively reduce the cost of the phones. The credits never showed and I had to call and badger someone to get them. The guy didn't even enter them in our "file."

8. PicardsDome, Oct 25, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2013

PicardsDome macrumors newbie

Anytime someone prefaces what they are about to say with that, they sound like one.

9. dvrmstrng thread starter macrumors 6502

Been really busy with work and missed the announcement. Dummy line was because I upgraded my phone right when the Note 2 came out and just shattered the screen with no insurance.

I was at the store but on the phone with customer care via their phone.

Yeah I just missed the announcement. The new phone was going to refresh a new 2 year agreement.

I know and that's not "douchey" I just wasn't around to see the announcement.

I actually think I'm going to go with the S4 Active BNIB off craigslist and keep my current agreement.

10. martiansoldier macrumors 6502

I'm on a 3 line family plan and may add another line soon. So, I checked with customer care and was informed that I would still be allowed to add another line and switch to the 700 minutes family plan since I am an existing customer and the change only affected new customers/new accounts.

Will have to wait and see what they say when I actually try to add another line.

11. dvrmstrng thread starter macrumors 6502

From my understanding today you will not have any issues as you already have the family plan.

12. martiansoldier macrumors 6502

That is my understanding as well.