ATT giving family plan upgrades the shaft for iPhone 4!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by afresques, Jun 15, 2010.

1. afresques macrumors newbie

So I my husband and I both have the iPhone 3gs and got them the day they came out. We now want to upgrade to the iPhone 4 and ATT is saying that only the primary number on the line is eligible for the upgrade at the $199/$299 pricing. That the non primary line is not eligible because it does not generate any revenue to the company. We have been with ATT since the launch of the first iPhone, what would be the point of upgrading only one phone if I can't talk to my husband on video. I spoke to a manager and she said that there was nothing that they could do but that they are working on this issue. If their results of "working on this issue" will bring any resolve to the problem I don't know. But I recommend anyone else in this situation to give them a call and raise hell and send them an email. The only reason I am with ATT is because of the iPhone, because we all know it is not for their amazing service.

2. safetyobc macrumors 6502

safetyobc

My wife and I got our 3GS on the same day (ordered them from ATT.com) just a couple weeks after launch last year.

Today, I upgraded to iPhone 4 because my number was eligible. Her's is not eligible for upgrade until March 2011. :rolleyes:

Good thing she is happy wither her 3GS (that is until she sees my iPhone 4 :D)

Obviously there is no rhyme or reason to it. Her number is the primary # on the account too.

3. jyax macrumors newbie

Same issue here.

Got both 3GS iPhones on launch day. Same situation as this year except then they allowed the 2nd phone to be upgraded for $400 instead of the full $600. Called AT&T 4 times between yesterday and today to no avail -- They won't budge.

They say the second phone won't be allowed to get the midway discounted $400 price in November. It's total BS. iPhone is the only reason we're with AT&T.

Problem is both her and I really want the iPhone 4. $800 is gonna suck ($200 + $600) but on a positive note at least hers won't get a renewed contract.

Pretty upset to say the least.

4. afresques thread starter macrumors newbie

I also don't think it is very nice to say that you can't upgrade your line because you are not generating enough revenue. What kind of crap is that, we pay on one bill to the same household. I don't know how over $180 a month is not generating enough revenue for them.

5. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

family plan here... hubby's phone is eligible for full upgrade, mine is eligible for the next tier (+$200)... both got ours on launch day last year...

6. afresques thread starter macrumors newbie

It is interesting that you upgraded both phones on launch day just like we did and they are making you pay $600 for the second one. Our second line is eligible for reduced pricing but not the best pricing, making the second phone $299/$399. Another reason to call and raise hell

7. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

This happened with the 3GS too. This shouldn't be a surprise and it's not at all hard to understand. The phone that is eligible is the line which you pay $100 a month for (or close to that). The second phone on the family plan shares minutes, and is a $9.99 add on, with a $30 data plan. Far less then the primary phone. The eligibility is based on each phones monthly payment.

You can always add another phone to the family plan, or pay a higher price for the upgrade.

8. afresques thread starter macrumors newbie

I am not saying that their rules are hard to understand, I am saying that their rules are BS. I understand what they were telling me, but it is not fair that there is a large group of people unable to upgrade when we are 1, already paying a crap ton for our phones ($100 + $10 second line + $30 for data +30 for text messaging + fees = $190ish for two phones) and 2, when both phones were upgraded at the same time last year.

9. dagomike macrumors 65816

It's really simple. The subsidy is based on your monthly rate plan. That subsidy is paid back over a period of time. That's why ATT offers a $600 phone for $200.

If you're in a family plan, you're paying less than two individual plans. It makes no sense for ATT to allow extra early upgrades to both lines.

10. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

Sorry, It's not BS, it's completely fair. 100%. You're not entitled, nor eligible. Ready your original contracts, and eligibility agreements. It's all very clear before you even sign up. Most people choose to just sign, and not read what they are signing, and then complain when they don't get what they feel they deserve, even though they signed a contract.

Going from my 2 3G phones, to my 2 3GS phones, I had one phone I paid the eligible price, the second phone I had to pay the second tier subsidized price, and I knew this going into the purchase.

11. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

EXACTLY.

12. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Uh... Having a hard time feeling sorry for you. Let's recount the facts.
    You got 2 iPhone 3GS phones on launch day last year and even though AT&T has "graciously/generously" given one line a 6 month free pass on upgrading, you are upset that you don't get it for both.

I bought the original iPhone in 2007 for $599 (no subsidy then) and wow, got a $100 credit after they dropped the price $200.

I then bought the iPhone 3G in 2008 at the $199 price because it had nothing to do with eligibility. I paid FULL price for my original iPhone.

Then I was not eligible when the 3GS came out last year b/c I was only 12 months into my eligibility period which got changed from March 2010 to December 2009 at some point, woohoo.

And now 2 years later I can upgrade my iPhone 3G to an iPhone 4, but seemingly can almost any iPhone 3GS plan user who bought theirs 12 months ago. But you are crying that if you got 2 subsidized phones, that they aren't giving you 2 more a year later.

If you both have to have the latest iPhone, seeing as your 3GS is still a good phone and will support ALL iOS 4 features incl. multitasking, then I suggest you accept the price tag and pony up the additional $200 for that 2nd brand new iPhone 4.

EDIT: My wife can also get the iPhone 4 if she wants, which she doesn't b/c she is still using her Nokia Piece of Crap Flip phone that she got in 2007 when we switched to AT&T for the iPhone.

13. chdwil macrumors regular

Sell both of your 3 gs phones while they still have some good value. This should cover the cost of the second upgrade.

14. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Translation:

Sorry op lol but it is what it is. You simply don't generate enough revenue on your line to be eligible for an upgrade as soon. If you would have had the unlimited international data or att navigator or something like that then you would have easily went over the $100 /month threshold and after three months you would have been in the full subsidy club like the rest of us.

But you dont, so you aren't. Sorry.

15. atm2626 macrumors newbie

You can try this and let me know if it works :)

"Is it possible to take a phone line that is currently in contract with a separate voice plan and merge it into a family plan?

If so, would it be possible to break out a sub account (not currently eligible for an upgrade) on a family plan to qualify an early upgrade then merge it back into the family plan? Even if you have to pay for a separate voice plan for a month, you'd still save some."

I may have to call an AT&T rep to ask about this option...

16. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

so they should loose money for your phone then listen to your complaining about "bad service" when you wanted a cheap phone? no.

17. gman901 macrumors 6502a

On a Family Plan you should be able to change which line is the primary line and upgrade it, as long as the primary person responsible for the account is with you. What does AT&T care. They still get the same amount of money regardless of which line is upgraded.

18. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

Get one upgraded at the full subsidized price, then buy the other 1 at the next tier pricing and split the differance between you two. Your not entitled to full subsidized pricing every year. I'm just happy they are letting me upgrade at the 2nd tier pricing.

19. takufu01 macrumors regular

Finally!!!

Just able to pre-order with ATT....rather have gotten from Apple Store...but...guess it will be ok

20. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Must be something about the time-line and leniency they gave for upgrades (iPhone launches) of ATT with some peoples plan as BOTH our iPhones are eligible for the iPhone 4 at the discounted price and also the waived 18 buck fee.

So ATT is NOT giving family plan upgrades the shaft for iPhone 4 but certain accounts just aren't eligble for both phones to have the discount as mine as 2 other families we know are. Meaning ALL iPhones are eligible.

I'm not defending ATT in any way, but I think if we dug real deep we'd find out the real reason and maybe the fine print shafted some people.

21. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

As someone who bought the 3G and have been waiting patiently for two years to get a new iPhone, I sure do love hearing all the 1-year-in 3GS users complain about "only" getting a $400 discount when they really wanted an $800 discount.

You want to upgrade before your 2-year contract is up? Sell your phones and use that money. Lots of people do it.

I'm really pleased that AT&T gives ANY discount at the 1 year mark. But you're complaining about that?

22. h1kar1 macrumors regular

h1kar1

My wife and i had this issue when the 3gs came out.

it's the fact that primary account gets the early upgrade

Normal contract is 24months primary gets it at 18

Needless to say my wife did not get a 3GS last time around she still has a 3G

So shes excited about this time around. but upset that there is no white one.

23. slpknt2886 macrumors newbie

slpknt2886

My boyfriend and I bought the 3G iPhone on launch day 2 years ago. I was able to upgrade one 32 gb iphone today via apple store at the $299 price.

Since it has been two years, will both phones be eligible for upgrade at the $299 price?

24. ethana macrumors 6502a

My wife and I have a Family Plan with both iPhone 3GS's on the day they came out. Here is how the pricing went:

- My number - iPhone 4 32GB Black - $299.

- Her number - iPhone 4 16GB Black - $599.

Sucks. Well, at least we got ONE phone with the upgrade pricing.

Ethan

25. meggieprice macrumors member

I bought my 3GS on June 25th last year (I remember well as it is my birthday and Michael Jackson died). I am the primary on a family plan with five lines (soon to be six) . To my pleasant surprise I was eligible at the lower rates today, and since no one else on the plan upgraded they are all eligible too! We are pleased, to say the least.

However, I do dislike AT&T. When I was on Sprint they contacted me whenever a plan debuted that would save us money. AT&T never is consumer friendly in that way. And they get plenty of money from us $100 for 2100 minutes, $40 for the extra kines, $30 for the texting, and all the data plans. That is a hefty hunk. Did they bother to let us know about being able to have ten numbers listed that would not cost minutes? Of course not.

Now they will have us for another 2 years.

Oh well- we lust and love our iPhones and they are more than happy to take advantage of that!!