ATT Grandfathered into Unlimited data... If I get the 4S will I lose the unlimited?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Juicy D. Links, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Juicy D. Links macrumors 6502

or will they basically say sorry.........no more unlimited...:eek:

2. mrtune macrumors 6502a

I was able to pre-order this morning and keeping the unlimited data for $30 was an option, so I picked it.

Looks like they still grandfathering us in.

3. midnightfalcon macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

No you get to keep unlimited data. They just change the name to unlimited for iPhone 4s

4. markel253 macrumors regular

No, you will have to choose the 4s unlimited plan ... but it is there if you are eligible and is the same $30.

5. naples09 macrumors member

6. fjrabon macrumors regular

still have my unlimited. Though I'm actually considering changing to 4GB plus tethering. I've never actually exceeded 4GB in any month on my phone, though with 14.4 HPSA+ (I'm in Atlanta where it fairly blankets the area) and tethering I worry that I might.

I figured it'd be safer to stay on unlimited, see my usage patterns on the new phone, and then choose. I also worry if Siri will use a significant amount of data since it talks to the server farm in NC. Combined with iCloud.

I could imagine a pretty big bump in my data usage with the 4S.

7. eyeseeyou macrumors 68000

Does the 4s get faster download "4g" speeds than the og ip4?

8. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

It still showed the $30 unlimited option on my account, but the $15 1500 messages was gone and the only option was pay per message or $20 unlimited. I just got off the phone with AT&T and they set up a commitment call for the 17th and will review the changes after the upgrade since they could not see any pending changes (probably won't until the 14th when activated). $5 difference doesn't sound like much, but it all adds up.

9. fjrabon macrumors regular

If you have AT&T and are in an area with HPSA+, yes. You should be able to get 14.4 (v. the old 7.2). I have friends with HPSA+ phones here in Atlanta and they pretty consistently get 13+. I worry that will change once the hordes of 4S's hit, but I guess we will see.

10. ansabakhan macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

i tried every thing i dont see how i can grandfather my unlimited data plan on AT&T, i am not getting any options ...

this is what is see on selecting data plan
    NOTE: Customers who are upgrading their iPhone are required to select one of the following data plans for iPhone. To continue, select one of the data plans below. The data plan you select will replace your existing data plan.

Available Data Plans for iPhone

DataPlus Personal 200MB for iPhone 4S
    DataPro Enterprise 2GB for iPhone 4S
    DataPro Personal 2GB for iPhone 4S

what do i do ? please help:mad:

11. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

From what I have heard from different AT&T CS reps when I called them, as long as you stick to a smartphone with AT&T you keep unlimited until such time that AT&T discontinues it. I pre ordered iPhone 4S and kept unlimited data so I would contact them if you do not see that option but you should keep it.

If you are switching from another phone type to iPhone, you may have to call them first if you do not see the option for Unmlimited Data

12. ansabakhan macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

i have iphone 4 , and have unlimited data on it .. and get no option to keep my unlimited plan

13. dodgerbluetx macrumors member

I am in the same boat. I was able to upgrade my wife's phone and the unlimited option was there, for my line it is not. I logged into my AT&T account and it shows my line with some generic smartphone data plan (unlimited) but not the iphone data plan, I think this is the cause.

On hold with AT&T now (2.5 hours and counting....), but I've been so tempted so say eff it and go to the 2G plan just to be done with this. Looking at my usage I've never gone over 1.5G in one month so I should be ok, and would save $5/mo, but something tells me I should should keep the unlimited plan. :D

14. ansabakhan macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

I do some times over 2GB so i want to stick with my 2GB data ! cant get it to work :(