iPhone X ATT grandfathered Unlimited vs. Unlimited Premium

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pjny, Aug 10, 2018.

1. pjny macrumors 6502a

ATT jacked up my grandfathered ATT plan to $96.69/month with $7.65 national account discount. This includes $5 charge for 200 text messages and 450 minutes. I do not text or make too many calls. I mainly use about 15-24gb a month.

I will now need to get a hotspot for my laptop so I can FTP images to a client so I need to switch plans.

What is the difference(fine print) between grandfathered unlimited and current ATT Unimited&More Premium(UMP)? ATT states that UMP Premium For $80/line including $15gb hotspot. Will the total cost be less than what I am paying now($96.69) or are there hidden fees that will push the cost to more than $100 a month?

What are the hidden fees and disadvantages of UMP if I switch?

Here is the link:

https://www.att.com/plans/unlimited-data-plans.html#dmgUnlimited--packages

Does Verizon have similar options? i've had verizon and att iphones and most of the time verizon reception is way better.

2. Wyckham macrumors member

Mobile plans in USA are a total rip off haha

Three in Ireland give you unlimited 4G data and lots of calls / texts for 25 euro a month!

$96 is insane!

3. uwdude macrumors 6502a

I was going to say, wow, they're charging you $96 for limited texts and limited calls? That's outrageous. Yes you're getting a lot of data but wow. I would think unlimited plans now would be cheaper, and most don't mention a possible throttle until you hit about 22gb so you would be good anyway. The hotspot is something to research though. For $100 you really should be getting at least some hotspot included.

4. Wyckham macrumors member

What they limit hotspot usage? Three in Ireland have a Fair Usage policy of 60Gb which is not enforced. My bother does about 200 GB a month on his one without issues for years. Hotspots are not a thing here, they just work !

5. riteshritesh macrumors newbie

Haha. Vodafone India gives us 40GB with data rollover upto 250 GB's + Unlimited calling, texts, etc at USD 12

6. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

I switched to the unlimited premium (or equivalent) for over a year now and haven’t seen any surprises yet. It’s nice to use the hotspot feature when I need it and not having to worry about text counts

7. FoxD macrumors 6502

I switched too and speed and quality is the same. Rule of thumb is if you have more than 2 phones, the new Unlimited Plan is cheaper and you get hotspots on all phones.

8. Wehrwolf macrumors 6502

Wehrwolf

Yet almost half the population still has inadequate access to toilets and basic sanitation. o_O

http://unicef.in/Whatwedo/11/Eliminate-Open-Defecation
    --- Post Merged, Aug 10, 2018 ---
    The $80 per line does not include administrative fees, taxes, etc. When you factor those in the final cost will likely be similar...

9. gadgetfreaky macrumors 6502a

So given ATT has raised the price 5 bucks every year for the last 4 years - you cannot call it "grandfathered". Its just that plan you have that they raise every year till you get off.

10. eoblaed macrumors 68020

eoblaed

I also switched a year or so ago. I haven't noticed any degradations or problems, and having the hotspot feature on all the devices is really nice.

11. bushman4 macrumors 68020

Neither of these plans has any value or premiums at this point in time
    ATT has lost respect for the customer by nickel and diimeing us. Their unlimited plans prove that Respect for the customer is gone and &$$$$ is more important

12. aneftp macrumors 601

Yes for those with 1-2-3 lines it’s very expensive for USA people.

But the cost savings has to do with “family plans”. So someone on the verizon feb 2017 unlimited plan pays $100 base fee plus $20 a line. So someone who has 7 family members or “friends” only pays $240 for 7 lines. So that comes out to $34 a line for unlimited data and 10gb hotspot. Not a bad deal for $34/line for the biggest cell phone company in USA.

13. Csal20, Aug 16, 2018 at 8:09 PM
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2018 at 8:16 PM

Csal20 macrumors member

I’ll probally never give up my grandfathered unlimited data plan. I have 80% fan discount through work. Until all the other data plans allow Fan discounts I’m not giving it up. My monthly bill is only like 45.00 a month.

14. Two Stacks macrumors regular

It’s amazing how cheap some people are yet they have expensive taste

15. Brandonjr36 macrumors 65816

Brandonjr36

Yeah but the problem is AT&T charged $30 or $35 per line now. The old unlimited plus plan is $20 a line that’s what I have and will not leave that plan.

16. HDFan macrumors 6502a