ATT has a limit on how many iPhones you can buy in an 18 month period!!!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sleepyyet, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Sleepyyet macrumors member

Hey guys, I went to order an iPhone 3G on my premier website as a replacement phone readying myself to pay the "no commitment" pricing. Well, when I logged on as my CRU and telecomm managers credentials and went through the process of ordering a replacement iphone 3G, the iPhone didnt show up anywhere on my premier website for ordering. I called ATT and after spending almost an hour on the phone with key contact customer support, I was told that ATT has set a limit on how many iPhones customers can buy within an 18 month period. I told the CSR that this was a replacement in that I had dropped my current iPhone 3G and it was rather unrecognizable.

She said that ATT had no such "no commitment" pricing at this point and told me that I would just have to order another telephone or wait another 18 months. I was dumbfounded. Does this sound correct? Being Im a business customer, I'm resigned to deal with ATT or can I just walk into an Apple store an purchase a new iPhone 3G out right whatever the full retail price maybe. Perhaps on premier website orders, the iPhones come unactivated and sealed as opposed to in-store activations. Who knows.

2. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Try going to an AT&T store. I always thought you could go in and buy iPhone at the non-new contract price. Strange because I know of others doing this. Try an Apple or AT&T store.

3. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

i dont think Att sells no contract phone at the moment. When it comes it will cost you 699.

4. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Perhaps you should try slowing down and listen.

What she meant is, you have to wait 18 months for your 2 year contract to expire before you can buy another one at discounted price, and there isn't a contract-free option of buying the phone.

5. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

ATT has never put the iPhone for sell on their website that I can tell. ATT profit margin is probably not all that high with the iPhone compared to other devices.

6. Sleepyyet thread starter macrumors member

Perhaps non on the non-business and/or corporate website. But it has always appeared on my premier website since it being launched back in July. And whats funnier, when you order the telephone and its shipped to you, the box is completely unopened and sealed and in-home activation is required via itunes, but again, this is only for premier b2b customers. Others can verify.

7. Benjic macrumors regular

I had to purchase a repacement phone after about 4 months of owning the phone, so I sold my old black 16gb, went into a Best Buy, bought a white 16GB for $499, no contract signed. I think I should have, but my contract end date stayed the same, so i think they made the mistake.

I will note that stores receive little to no commission for this type of sale, so they are going to be jerks about doing it. They were really stubborn on letting me buy it.

8. nizmoz macrumors 65816

That isn't true. A lady at my work dropped her phone and broke it. She went to Apple and bought a new one for $299 price and they let her keep the old broken one.

9. Xtgirl macrumors regular

I think she was blowin smoke...how many have you bought?

I lost mine and bought a replacement for 499...

Try going to apple

Prices are 499 with contract extension 2 yrs from point of purchasr...no subsidy
    599 no extension of current contract for the 16gb

10. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

You are...nevermind.

According to you, we should just keep bring in the broken phone and keep buying "replacement" phone at $299.

11. sparkyms macrumors 65816

Yeah, go to Apple or ATT store and claim you lost it... I'm sure they'll help you out with what you want?

12. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

I find it incredible that in this economy any company would be dumb enough to refuse to sell a product to somebody who wants to buy it.

AT&T really takes the cake...