ATT iPhone 5 ordered, then cancelled -- now shipped! What now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Squeak825, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Squeak825 macrumors regular

Placed an order for black 32GB in store on 9/29 using my line, with the intent of upgrading my wifes 4S. Realized couple of days later than it would be quicker to go through the Apple Reservation system.

While using a different line on our account (MIL), I was lucky to get a phone in 3 days and did an upgrade swap to get things right and my wife is now using the 5.

Immediately went to the AT&T store and cancelled the order. Within a couple of hours the upgrade status on my line was reinstated, I called AT&T and got the $36 upgrade fee credited, and I thought all was well.

However, I just got notice that my order never really cancelled and the phone shipped today. And, AT&T still sees that line being upgrade eligible.

What's going to happen with the phone arrives? We really don't need it right now, so can I just sell it to someone else and not have it impact my account?

I know I will need to unlock it before selling it (zip code, last 4 of social), but given all of this, do I run any risk of it being recommitting me to the 2-year contract on that line?

Called an AT&T rep, and she was decent but not that helpful because she had never really seen this before, and didn't want to give me a clear answer, or "burst my bubble". She did say that the the only evidence that I ordered the phone was the upgrade fee, then it credited, and then the tracking number today.

Thoughts?

2. Squeak825 thread starter macrumors regular

Bumping for a different crowd. Might be not well known how to handle.

3. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

I actually have no idea what AT&T would do... but get ready for a bunch of "high horse" replies about "it not being yours" and "send it back."

4. Squeak825 thread starter macrumors regular

I should clarify: I paid the $299 for the phone. I did not get it for free. The credit card was charged when the phone shipped.

5. enophi1 macrumors 6502a

enophi1

I would phone up AT&T and get them to re credit your account, but they won't do that until the phone is returned.

6. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

If you're prepared to accept the 2 year contract extension & losing upgrade on that line, then sure, sell it. They might not lock you in, but you need to presume that they will.

If that would be a deal-breaker, send it back.

7. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

Actually THIS ^^^ . I would try my luck at it. Worse case... they notify you and tell you to:

1. Return it
    2. Pay FULL retail instead of $299
    3. Keep it at $299 and take away your upgrade status, start your contract.

I think there is a very good shot of you slipping through the cracks and scoring an iPhone for $299 without a contract and burning your upgrade.

8. dominion155 macrumors member

This happened to me as well.. They gave me two options, pay full retail or return it. I ended up returning it cuz I didnt wanna deal with all the trouble.

Its up to you though, they saw it in their systems and were planning on crediting me the full price anyways, so id be careful.

9. ProudLoz macrumors regular

This. I think once they shipped it and charged your card, the 2-year contract already started. Maybe it starts when you activate the phone, but either way it's coming with a 2-year contract regardless of AT&T removing that activation fee of yours.

Now OP, you did mention that your upgrade eligibility was reinstated due to the cancellation even though the phone shipped. I have a feeling that once you activate said phone, AT&T will take that upgrade eligibility away, since they'll know that you activated an upgrade iPhone 5 on your line. This is all speculation by the way.

If you decide to return it, keep in mind that you'll have to pay a 15% restocking fee if you open it. If you return it sealed, all should be well for you.

This is a strange scenario, but if I were in your shoes I might keep it since I know someone that needs an iPhone upgrade.

10. Squeak825 thread starter macrumors regular

How will they know it is tied to my line? If I sell the phone without my SIM card, and someone else activates it with my SIM, what is to tie back to my account to reinstate the 2-year contract?

11. ProudLoz macrumors regular

If I'd had to guess it would be the EMEI number on the phone. Once you (or someone else) activate it, I'm sure it'll trip AT&T's servers.

I honestly don't even remember if AT&T iPhones bought from AT&T go through that "Activate Phone" page that the ones bought from Apple.com go through.

But like I said, I'm just speculating. :p

12. noteple macrumors 65816

When they figure it all out you will be asked for the full price of the missing phone.

They won't want it back because it won't reconcile till after 30 days.

You might also be on the hook for another two year contract.

Do yourself a favor, just return it. Keep your accounts clean and drama free.