ATT is overstating the amt of texts I have used

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dukebound85, Feb 3, 2011.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I went to pay my bill and it seems as if my values are quite high

It says I have used 252 texts currently with 26 days left in my billing cycle

I have manually counted only 54 texts sent and received since the beginning of February

What is going on?

I do have google voice but it is set up as to not forward anything to my cell

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I believe any text message above 160 characters counts as more than one text. For example, a text with 452 characters would count as three.

Could that explain it?

3. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

maybe for some but most of my texts are fairly short in nature

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

Your detailed bill should show when and to whom each message was sent to/received from. With a little effort, you can compare to your phone and figure out where the discrepancy is.

5. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

That's true, although you may have to view your bill online to see this info (since it would be too costly to print and mail it).

6. shelbymayer macrumors regular

Look at when your actual bill cycle date is...you say 26 days left on your current bill cycle...that most likely puts your bill cycle date on jan 30-31st. May not make a huge difference...but bill cycle dates almost never fall on the first of the month...it's usually set to a day or two after the day of first activation...for instance if you started service on the 6th of the month your bill cycle date is usually the 7th or 8th....not really sure why but that is how AT&T works...and I know this because I work for them! If that doesn't account for it...dial 611 and talk to someone in billing and get them to analyze your current usage and ask when the extra texts were sent/received! hope this helps!!! :)

7. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Don't received texts count as well? So, if you sent 54 and got a response to each, it would actually be using 108 texts...May be wrong on that, but that's my understanding.

8. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

you can export a detailed copy of your bill from your at&t account page to excel format. That will allow you to create your own reports or whatever you need. also keep in mind that your billing cycle doesn't match the months. You should look at the dates on your account to see when your cycle actually is. The only way it would match the calendar months is if you signed your contract on the first of a month. does that help?

9. gks macrumors 6502

This is true. Texts count both ways. If you send them it counts, if someone sends you a text, that counts. Pretty easy to go over 200 texts in my opinion. I just upgraded to unlimited again... lost my $5/mo plan but whatever.

The other person above that says texts over 160 characters count for more than one is also true. Settings->Messages->Character Count (on) will help you see how many characters you're using. I'd suggest turning that on if you haven't already.

10. Simm0nS777 macrumors 6502a

He actually said on the OP that he has 54 sent and received.......

11. dave420 macrumors 65816

I've often found my detailed bill shows a lot of duplicate text messages that I don't really think should be there. Never knew for certain, and I have been unlimited for years now. Maybe something similar is happening here.

12. andrewr2123 macrumors member

For me, I'm pretty sure the amount of texts (and minutes) is for EVERYONE that is on our plan. The data and other stuff is for individual phones though.

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

This may be a little crazy and out there but have you considered calling ATT? :rolleyes:

14. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

When I made the thread, it was too late for that. Didn't get around to it today but will try to tomorrow if I get a moment

15. Apple 26.2, Feb 5, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2011

Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

In Europe, well, at least in Germany, you only pay for outgoing SMS or calls... anything incoming is not counted against you.

Shame that U.S. providers can't do the same.