ATT just told me everyone who's eligible up to December can get discounted pricing?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by deenybird, Jun 15, 2010.

1. deenybird macrumors regular

Jul 21, 2008
    I visited the ATT store today with a family member looking to get the new iphone. Her eligibility said that she couldn't get it at $199 until some time in December. One of the staff there said they just got word that even those who aren't eligible for the $199 price up until December will in fact be allowed to get it at the $199 price.

We said 'thank you' and left, and I came here for the real answer.
    So, is this true?

We asked one last question:
    When we called *639# the text said that she wasn't available for the $199 price until december, but she could get it on launch day for less than full price. When we asked what she would have to pay on launch day they said they couldn't tell us because they didn't know. So whats the real deal? How much will it cost?

Our last ditch plan would be for her to get off our family plan, start a new plan with her husband (who has a PAYGO plan with ATT) and use his 'new customer' credit to get the phone at $199, and then somehow switch their numbers back to normal. Anyone see any problems with this as a backup plan? And would her husband need to be there?

Thanks for the answers.
  2. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

Mar 5, 2010
    Wherever I May Roam
    If your contract is up within 2010, you can get the new iPhone...with a 2 year contract.
  3. deenybird thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 21, 2008
    True, however I'm wondering about the cost.
  4. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

Jul 22, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    $199/299 for the 16/32GB.
  5. xraydoc macrumors 604

Oct 9, 2005
    The Steve himself announced this during his keynote.
  6. mrmike316 macrumors regular

Jun 21, 2009
    I dont think this is being honored for some strange reason,come on ATT its was in the keynote speach right around the 1:38 into the speech.Steve said anybody who is elegible by the end of the year will get the 199/299 deal
  7. dave006 Contributor

Jul 3, 2008
    Just West of East
    There's that small fact that it was announced by Steve and it is even confirmed in this YouTube video by one of the official AT&T Social Media team. Watch and listen as Seth explains that you currently are an iPhone customer and you qualify for a standard "full" subsidy between June 7 and Dec. 31, 2010 you should get the best pricing...

Seth from AT&T explaining in AT&T speak what Steve J. announced at the Keynote.

8. jeni0816 macrumors newbie

Jul 8, 2009
    My plan isn't technically up until June of NEXT year (2011) and I was able to order the 32GB for $299.
  9. Nickel Dime Bay macrumors regular

Jun 9, 2009
    Im in the same boat, my upgrade is in December 2010 but online on both websites i get the 399/499 prices...I want to get it online and not in the store, if i bought it online for the 499 price would they credit me back the rest after launch??
  10. mrmike316 macrumors regular

Jun 21, 2009
    So does anybody know if they are honoring this
  11. mrmike316 macrumors regular

Jun 21, 2009
    I wouldnt trust ATT they wont credit you....just go in the ATT store and ask them to....IMO
  12. Nickel Dime Bay macrumors regular

Jun 9, 2009
    I went yesterday and asked, he said i will get the 199/299 prices blah dammit why cant this be easy