ATT- Let you upgrade sooner?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jukes316, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Jukes316 macrumors regular

Think they'll be doing that again?
    I remember last year they let you upgrade if you were before/after a certain month. Can't remember exactly.
    But I could really use that right now since I'm not up until November'ish.

Anyone know?
    Thanks. :)

2. lazard macrumors 65816

it'll probably be a nominal upgrade fee like $10-20. My sister's plan is up in January and it would cost her an extra $39 to upgrade to the 5.

3. asazad macrumors newbie

how about me

how about me?
    i've never owned an iphone (or any smartphone for that matter). My contract with AT&T ends January 10th.
    Will i be able to upgrade early also?

How do you know (how did you find out) that you will be able to upgrade for a small "nominal fee"

Also, does anyone know when AT&T will start having the iphone 5 available through them? Their website just says "coming soon"

4. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

This year they are only doing the subsidized upgrades for people who have not fulfilled the 2-year contract. That means you pay $199 for the phone and $250 as an upgrade fee.

5. dotme macrumors 6502a

Then you may qualify for a fully subsidized iPhone ($199). AT&T makes that decision on a number of factors - and the only way to find out for sure is to log into their website and see what upgrade options are available to you on your line.

6. Jukes316 thread starter macrumors regular

Um..yea F that.
    Not going to pay more then the phone to upgrade..guess I'll have to wait.

7. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

The phone is $199 completely subsidized $450 with an early upgrade and $650 off contract I believe so how would you be paying more than the phone to upgrade again?

8. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Yeah, fulfilling contract terms is the WORST, who would sign one?

9. Jukes316 thread starter macrumors regular

I didn't mean without contract price. But I'm not going to pay double to get a new contract with it.
    Mine as well wait an extra two months.

BUT. I did the *639# and it said "As a valued customer, we can offer you an upgrade with a new 2yr commitment and an 36 upgrade fee"

So does that mean I'm in the clear of the penalty?
    *crosses fingers*

10. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Yes they are offering early upgrades. I'm up in November, and it's September and I qualify for an upgrade.

They do this on purpose so that people upgrade and stay with AT&T, rather than moving to a new provider, because the ETF makes the latter more expensive.

It's a clever tactic to retain customers, but it's probably not going to work on me as I'm likely going to just wait it out and switch to Verizon or Sprint in November.

11. Jukes316 thread starter macrumors regular

ANd I'm not like bad-mouthing them cause their terms, just saying I wouldn't do that and I'd just wait the extra time.
    Not like I'm saying oh f them f this i'm taking my business somewhere else or something.

12. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

yeah, I think you have to be somewhere around month 20 or 21 of the 24 month contract. In the past, they let you do yearly upgrades though just 12 month in for the outright price of $199

13. Jukes316 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm in the debate of switching to verizon as well.
    But probably won't as my parent's have the Iphone and they have same ****** service where I'm located. So wouldn't be worth it in my eyes. Mine as well keep my talk + internet and "UNLIMITED" gb's...ha.ha..ha..

14. al0513 macrumors 6502

There are already a few threads about this. I have posted my story- not too long ago too.