att mobile insurance vs apple care

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Lax1085, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Lax1085 macrumors member

att mobile insurance is 6.99 a month.

while apple care + is 99 for a year.

you have to pay a service fee of 50 for accidents.

which is better?

im sure att will end up costing more in the end.

2. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

AT&T covers damage as well as theft or loss. The kicker with AT&T is that the deductible is $199, but that's better than paying retail for another phone. I have AT&T insurance.

3. donrsd macrumors 6502

donrsd

ATT is better.
    Covering theft & loss makes it better than Applecare :)

4. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

They're rather different.

AT&T's coverage drops and water damage like apple care, but it also covers your phone being lost or stolen. However, last time I checked, the deductible was significantly higher than $50 per incident.

Applecare Plus actually gives you coverage for two years. But as far as I know doesn't cover lost or stolen devices. Your also only allowed two replacements at the $50 level (not sure what happens after that point).

A good advantage Applecare has, however, is on the spot replacement if you take it to a store. I think AT&T is only a next-day guarantee.

Honestly, while I've been a purchaser of Applecare in the past, I'm starting to think that both are a racket. It seems that most people are keeping their iPhones for only one years these days, and the standard warranty covers that time period (though not for drops and water damage). AT&T's insurance might be the better deal then, but I'd double-check what the deductible is.

5. LePigeonBleu macrumors 6502

Don't forget SquareTrade. They are really good.

m

6. Whobarra macrumors member