Att OFFICIALLY Out Of Stock!!! Now ships in 3 - 5 WEEKS!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Big.Mac.Daddy, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Big.Mac.Daddy, Sep 14, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2012

Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

http://9to5mac.com/2012/09/14/att-n...rders-now-pushed-back-to-14-21-business-days/

Too slow you guys...

[​IMG]

2. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

I really believe AT&T and Verizon oversold their initial stock and promised the 21st to too many people.

3. Big.Mac.Daddy thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think the initial pre-orders will be fine and get delivered on time... but sucks for everyone else that needs to wait in line at the stores now :(

4. leenak macrumors 68020

Well it has been on sale for nearly 12 hours now? I mean if you were intending to order, you should've ordered first thing this morning (whatever that means to you).

Verizon is currently showing a 9/28 date.

5. mojo pin macrumors regular

mojo pin

Okay so let me see if I'm understanding this correctly. Verizon (and others) are sold out, not only for the pre-orders, but for in-store sales too? At first I thought that just meant their pre-order stock was sold out but that the store itself would still be getting stock on the 21st. That's not going to happen now?

6. Big.Mac.Daddy thread starter macrumors 6502a

You would think that Apple would make enough in advance to cover the demand. They have had 4 years of crazy excitement to know how many they should make right? :confused:

7. leenak macrumors 68020

Those are just Internet orders but I imagine a lot of stock is going to Internet orders. So stores may or may not have stock on the first day and it will most likely be limited.

8. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

God I'm pissed that my alarm didn't wake me up! I got up 4 hours after preorders started and was stuck with the 2 week wait time from Apple. I hope I got it early enough to maybe get pushed into the first wave, or the beginning of the second wave. Then I went to AT&T who still had stock but they wouldn't let me use a CC with a different address :rolleyes:

Maybe if I call my local AT&T and tell them that I've already preordered the phone but am on a wait time, they'd hold one for me.

9. BacklitFirefly macrumors 6502

People might still have luck if they go through BestBuy. That's what I did this morning and I've got an appointment next Friday at 10:30 am to pick mine up.

10. leenak macrumors 68020

Well your option is either to wait for them to release a couple weeks later to build up more stock or do preorders earlier knowing dates will slip fast. I think I'd prefer them not waiting a few more weeks.

11. fender57 macrumors 6502

I got stuck in the 3-5 week wave last year with AT&T. A couple weeks into the wait period I stopped at my local Apple Store and they had what I wanted, a 64GB White 4S, so I bought it and cancelled my order with AT&T. I'd say just wait it out and take your chances at the Apple Store a couple weeks after launch.

12. Big.Mac.Daddy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Or Apple could simply start production a few weeks earlier...

13. leenak macrumors 68020

I think if they could've, they would've. It is easy to say, hard to do.

14. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

I ordered at around 5am from apple.com. its going to be delivered on OCT 5 for me. Fine as i will be overseas until OCT 2 anyway :D

15. mojo pin macrumors regular

mojo pin

How frustrating. :( Here I thought I'd be fine just waiting to get one at the store. Now I'm torn between pre-ordering one now and at least knowing it'll get here by the 28th (which of course is the day I'm leaving for a trip :rolleyes:) or taking a chance and trying to get one in the store on the 21st. Oi. First world problems. They'll get ya.

16. the1payday macrumors 6502

the1payday

I THINK there will still be launch day stock available for those line waiting. Even though both the iPhone 4 and 4S pre-orders sold out on day one, there was still a separate stock of phones set aside specifically for launch day line waiters. Shouldn't be any different this year. Apple always does this. Only a certain percent of all the new iPhones they have made go to pre-orders. The remaining 40% or so is allocated for all of the stores (Apple, AT&T, verizon, best buy, etc) to sell on (in this case) Friday the 21st.

17. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

Internet sold stock is not the same as what will be coming to the stores. If like in the past each store will get a limited number of each flavor and have more trickle in each day after.

No one should be surprised as this is the way is has always been. The 4S did the same.

18. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

I would think a company as smart as Apple would have predicted the demand, and for it to run out it is almost safe to assume that they couldn't physically make any more in the time frame they had.

19. Big.Mac.Daddy thread starter macrumors 6502a

So move your timeframe forward and start making them earliern to cover demand...

20. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

I'm actually thankful I have to wait till at least 10/21 due to my contract, gives me time to sell my 4s, and wait for stock to come in at the stores, I have my Girlfriends 3gs I can use as a backup as long as I have to.

21. mojo pin macrumors regular

mojo pin

Thank you for your replies; I'm relieved now. I also just asked a friend who works at Verizon if they've been notified that everything's OOS and they won't be getitng any phones in the store on the 21st and he said no. Granted it's still early, but the employees would obviously have to be kept somewhat up-to-date on that stuff, since they'll be the ones coming in early to sell them and all. :) Keeping my fingers crossed.

22. leenak macrumors 68020

I'd say just be prepared. I know they are entirely different products but when the new MBPs came out, some stores were getting anywhere from 0 to a few systems per day. The stores also weren't holding them until the morning so if their FedEx delivery came in at 2pm and they received 2 units total, they sold those units that day. The store stock didn't seem to catch up until the internet orders had returned to normal shipping times. And some stores definitely had zero stock the first day of launch.

But iPhones are a bit different so who knows.

23. mojo pin macrumors regular

mojo pin

:eek: I'm honestly tempted to just wait a month to get this phone, and avoid all the stress altogether! Maybe I should just pre-order. I keep going back and forth! Ugh.

24. tdar macrumors 6502a

Apple could fix this, but does not want to. Today news sites are reporting iPhone 5 sold out in less than 1 hour. Next friday there will be pictures of massive lines. Good promotion for free.

25. KPOM macrumors G5

There's still a physical limit to how many each factory can produce. Foxconn had to retool the factories to make this. If they wait until they have a big stockpile, competing phones come out in the meantime. It's better to go to market with you have and sell out than to stockpile and wind up with too much.