ATT or Verizon for traveling overseas?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jetlagged, Sep 6, 2012.

1. jetlagged macrumors 6502

I currently own an iphone 4 for verizon. i plan to get an iphone 5 when it comes out. i also enjoy traveling a lot. safe to say that my phone doesnt work to make calls or send texts when i went to japan, singapore, hong kong, korea, iceland, macau. it goes back to the whole gsm cdma argument of it being a world phone. then again i didnt bother to call verizon to maybe perhaps ask and check with them first or maybe activate it, i dont know how it works to make the voice plan accessible when traveling overseas.

then again, from what i read, it's probably not even a wise choice and a bad idea to use the phone overseas to begin with, especially with wifi being readily available and programs out there like facetime or skype which provides it for free or for an affordable price.

Yeah it sucks that unlimited data plan wont be available with verizon anymore unless I decide to pay full price for a 32 gb iphone 5.

so yeah, ATT or Verizon for traveling overseas or does it really not matter now?

2. lazard macrumors 65816

neither, buy a local sim card (especially for places like Hong Kong, Tokyo, Macau can use a HK sim card, Singapore, Bangkok, Seoul) and pop it into your iPhone.

3. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

I would go with Verizon since they allow you to unlock your phone for overseas use.

Then pop in a local sim!