Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
I ventured into an ATT store front in CA to inquire about going from the iPhone 4s to the 5. It was interesting to note that they would buy/trade-in my 4s and give me 200 dollars. However, while they offer the 2-year contract discount they also tack on the tax at the full retail price. In this, the trade in is pretty much a pathetic deal with ATT. The guy at the store was very decent and admitted it wasn't truly a "deal" but simply a path to get to the next model and that in my shoes, he would wait until a real deal came out when the 5s/6 comes out and that this tax on full retail is something ATT does in CA/NV.

Anyone else had similar experiences? Btw, the one good thing is he said that ATT would still allow me to continue my grandfathered no limits contract.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I ventured into an ATT store front in CA to inquire about going from the iPhone 4s to the 5. It was interesting to note that they would buy/trade-in my 4s and give me 200 dollars. However, while they offer the 2-year contract discount they also tack on the tax at the full retail price. In this, the trade in is pretty much a pathetic deal with ATT. The guy at the store was very decent and admitted it wasn't truly a "deal" but simply a path to get to the next model and that in my shoes, he would wait until a real deal came out when the 5s/6 comes out and that this tax on full retail is something ATT does in CA/NV.

Anyone else had similar experiences? Btw, the one good thing is he said that ATT would still allow me to continue my grandfathered no limits contract.

Tax on full retail is not just an AT&T or CA/NV thing. Almost every state with an exception to a handful charge sales tax on the full retail, as well as all the carriers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.