Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last week, a firestorm erupted over the publicization of AT&T policies that can result in users on grandfathered unlimited data plans seeing their data speeds throttled after burning through as little as 2 GB in a month.

Early reports on the policy, which went into effect last October as intended to affect the top 5% of users on unlimited plans, had pegged the carrier as enforcing throttling on customers using in excess of 10 GB, but the limit appears to have been coming down over time. The lower limits have left some wondering why they are continuing to pay for a $30/month "unlimited" data plan that is throttled after 2 GB while AT&T happily sells customers a 3 GB "limited" data plan for the same price.

att_throttle_warning.jpg

AT&T does note in a support document on its website that that top 5% of data users did average approximately 2 GB per month as of last August, although that number does vary month-to-month and market-to-market.
Data consumption by all customers, including the top five percent of smartphone data customers, varies by month and by market. As of August 2011, the average data use across the country by the top five percent of AT&T smartphone customers was 2GB per month.
AT&T is not, however, automatically throttling users on unlimited data plans once they reach that "top 5% level" in the neighborhood of 2 GB, as The New York Times reports that AT&T only throttles these customers when they reside in areas with shortages of network capacity.
[AT&T spokesman Mark] Siegel said that even if you do exceed 2 gigabytes of data usage and qualify as one of the top 5 percent, that doesn't absolutely mean you're going to be throttled. AT&T will only reduce speeds for the top 5 percent of users in areas where network capacity or spectrum is insufficient, he said. In other words, throttling is done on a case-by-case basis, not based on a hard number, according to AT&T's claims.

"There's a very good chance you wouldn't be slowed," Mr. Siegel said. He added that in the last month, less than 1 percent of AT&T smartphone customers were affected by the policy.
Still, AT&T hasn't addressed observations that "unlimited" data users are essentially receiving less data service than 3 GB "limited" data users are for the same price. While unlimited customers can technically continue to go beyond 3 GB without incurring extra charges as a customer on a limited plan would, AT&T's throttled speeds are generally so low as to be considered nearly unusable by many.

Ultimately, many users of the users still on AT&T grandfathered data plans are viewing enforcement of throttling at 2 GB as primarily an effort to force them into giving up their plans and converting to the tiered plans AT&T rolled out in 2010.

Article Link: AT&T Says Throttling of Unlimited Data Users Done on Case-by-Case Basis

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
ATT needs to better explain its policy. I don't have a problem with them throttling using a uniform objective standard, but that does not seem like what they are doing. Also the $30 unlimited package should also guarantee users of the same 3GBs current users get for that money, they just would not be allowed to tether, which would be the benefit of changing to the 3GB plan.

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
We might be receiving less data service than users on the 3 GB plan now, but I suspect that will change. As people use data more the threshold to be in the top 5% will increase and we will be able to use more data without throttling.

Goaliegeek

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009
Colorado
I still have unlimited data on my iPhone 4. I average at least 3GB a month. Doing a speed test I'm getting 1.09 Mbps download and 1.04Mbps upload.
Have used ~3GB so far. 24/30 days in my billing cycle. Haven't noticed any throttling yet. Past few months I'd stream NFL Sunday Ticket on my phone all day and be doing about 10GB a month :p

jon1987

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2011
Can I just ask, why do we have a story about AT&T on the front page and then a Rumor story about the next iPad ends up on page two? Seems a little odd.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Can't say I'm surprised. Glad I didn't hold on to my unlimited at AT&T and instead jumped to Verizon. Once the iphone gets LTE, Verizon will be ahead for at least a year if not two.

derek1984

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2008
I have the unlimited and average 3GB/month. Haven't received any kind of message yet.

My contract has been up but I am holding out and monitoring this. If I do get throttled, I'll get the iPhone 5 with Verizon. So if AT&T doesn't want to lose this long time custumer, I suggest they never send me this message.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
Ultimately, many users of the users still on AT&T grandfathered data plans are viewing enforcement of throttling at 2 GB as primarily an effort to force them into giving up their plans and converting to the tiered plans AT&T rolled out in 2010.
The last of the unlimited contracts are about to run out, so At&T is not under any obligation to continue the grandfathered plans. It could just send a notification that the customers will be automatically switched over to 3GB plans. Maybe, they think the customers will feel a little better about it if it is more voluntary.

seamer

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
Can I just ask, why do we have a story about AT&T on the front page and then a Rumor story about the next iPad ends up on page two? Seems a little odd.

Because the iPad is still only a rumor until announced by Apple.

As for the bandwidth issues, I'm going to re-Match my phone daily to use my "unlimited" quota. ;)

Doc Rock

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2012
As one of those customers who went over 2GB to 2.4GB 3 times in the last 2 years and just happened to hit 2GB again on Jan 28th with 7 days left on my billing period and be throttled (without ever receiving a warning about it in any month before), I'd like a little more explanation as to why I'm being singled out in a Case-by-Case basis?

I use my phone for streaming audio every day. I use it for emails and other normal activities. I use it to be a GPS when I'm driving somewhere out of town. I use Wifi every chance I get when I'm at work or home or even at the Indian restaurant at lunch today. I'm not an abuser of the network. I average 1.4GB per month.

But in Houston, it appears that when you hit 2GB you get throttled. I have filed a report with the FCC for deceptive practices as I do have 3 phones with unlimited data that I have been paying for years and when you are throttled, its nearly impossible to get data access anymore! That's not unlimited!

jon1987

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2011
Because the iPad is still only a rumor until announced by Apple.

As for the bandwidth issues, I'm going to re-Match my phone daily to use my "unlimited" quota. ;)

That's understandable, but at the end of the day this is a Rumor forum. I know it's for apple related news aswell, but AT&T is just a side issue. Especially as the rest of the world use other carriers.

Flynnstone

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Cold beer land
My opinion ...

There should only be unlimited (truly unlimited) plans.

At the gas pumps are meters for measuring the amount of gas dispensed. This is verified by an independent 3rd party. This is prevent gas station owners (etc) from cheating customers.

If you're paying by the mega byte, then this measurement should be confirmed by an independent 3rd party. With data like this, this is a big problem.
But not for unlimited plans.

So either the carriers get measured to independently confirm data usage or ... unlimited plans only.

bigpatky

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2007
My wife just got this text the other day. She's barely over 2GB and doesn't stream any audio or video.

Friggin' ridiculous.

i agree it's ridiculous, but how does someone get to 2 gb on an iphone without streaming audio or video?

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
I think everybody knew the days of $30 unlimited were numbered. It was something AT&T was forced to do to get exclusive access to the iPhone in a EDGE world. A lot of folks have speculated for years it was going to end when the LTE versions rolled out.

But they shot themselves in the foot with the hamfisted way they rolled this out. They announce the throttling concept, but insist it'll only impact the extremely heavy users...and within a few months lower that threshold 50% below the limit of the same priced plan.

It should have been tied to a contract update with very clear throttling ceilings, giving people the option to move at that time or face known consequences.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Here's a free tip for AT&T. Just outline a clear and consistent policy on throttling for unlimited subscribers. For instance, first 3 GB at 3G speed (or 2G if 3G is not available in subscriber's area) then throttling to 2G thereafter.

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
I have the unlimited and average 3GB/month. Haven't received any kind of message yet.

My contract has been up but I am holding out and monitoring this. If I do get throttled, I'll get the iPhone 5 with Verizon. So if AT&T doesn't want to lose this long time custumer, I suggest they never send me this message.
Too bad AT&T doesn't care if you're a loyal customer. They'll watch you leave and not even care why. :rolleyes:

iPad2John

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X; en_US) AppleWebKit (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile [FBAN/FBForIPhone;FBAV/4.1;FBBV/4100.0;FBDV/iPad2,1;FBMD/iPad;FBSN/iPhone OS;FBSV/5.0.1;FBSS/1; FBCR/;FBID/tablet;FBLC/en_US;FBSF/1.0])

I received that message a few days ago.. I'm so pissed about it. I usually watch. Lot of Netflix while I'm out away from wifi but not in the last month and a half or so.. I can only guess that Jailbreaking and downloading the apps after have put me over the limit.. I'll be watching wether my wifi is on more often I guess.. So much for unlimited..

BrewsterMccloud

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2005
Doesn't make sense

I live in Seattle and when the post about throttling showed up on Macrumors, I checked my usage on my grandfathered unlimited plan. My usage was 2.3 GB for the past month. I never got a throttling notice. Yet others from Seattle were being throttled at 2.0 or 2.1. So ATT's explanation makes no sense if they maintain that the usage cutoff for throttling has to do with where you live.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
My opinion ...

There should only be unlimited (truly unlimited) plans.

At the gas pumps are meters for measuring the amount of gas dispensed. This is verified by an independent 3rd party. This is prevent gas station owners (etc) from cheating customers.

If you're paying by the mega byte, then this measurement should be confirmed by an independent 3rd party. With data like this, this is a big problem.
But not for unlimited plans.

So either the carriers get measured to independently confirm data usage or ... unlimited plans only.

That's kind of unwieldy and surely would add another cost layer which would get passed on to the consumer. Gas pumps are regulated by the state gov't but a 3rd party does not audit every drop of gas from every tank. It's completely random. Same goes for the meat and cheese scales in a grocery store.

But when you look at other utilities like heating oil, natural gas, water, electricity, it's the company itself that reads the meter each month and their accuracy is never monitored, except by the homeowner if they are that vigilant -- few are.

woodlandbunny

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2012
Throttled at 2gb

AT&T has throttled me when I hit 2.1gb January 2012. I'm in the San Francisco area and our network is awful so this article makes since... they are throttling based upon area. Most people I know here who still have the unlimited plan are all being throttled at 2gb.

There is a petition being signed at Change.org:
http://www.change.org/petitions/att-data-throttle

Check it out and let us stop AT&T from playing games with us. I paid for an unlimited plan, shouldn't we be allowed to receive what we pay for?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.