ATT Sent my Personal Info to Another Customer

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by itsallinurhead, Sep 23, 2013.

1. itsallinurhead macrumors 6502

itsallinurhead

So, looking for a little advice on how to proceed. Here is how things happened.

1) Ordered an iphone as an upgrade on Friday. ATT canceled my order because I'd "upgraded my phone 4 times in the last year." I called, they admitted this was their error and pushed my order through. At this point having an estimate ship date of 10/21.

2) The following day I received an order confirmation that had SOMEONE ELSES NAME AND NUMBER with my shipping address. This email was CCed to an AOL email that I didn't recognize.

3) I call ATT and they make me place my order FOR A THIRD time. Now my shipping estimate is 11/20.

So in the end, they made me place my order three times and directly violated their own privacy policy by sharing my personal information with an unrelated third party. I'm baffled by how badly they botched this and really don't know what to do going forward.

2. Kendo macrumors 68000

In other words you want ideas on how to get a free phone out of this?

3. itsallinurhead thread starter macrumors 6502

itsallinurhead

I could care less about the free phone at this point. I'm more concerned that it is so easy for them to send personal information to random people. On top of that, how their errors mean my ship date gets pushed back a month..

4. Iphone5preorder macrumors 6502a

That's nothing. When I bought a house, the lenders assistant sent me another customers closing documents which included their salary info, SSN, and tax into.

Most people are good people on this planet and they will discard it properly like I did.

As far as the delay, why even order it online at that point? You can go get one I the store.

5. tom. macrumors 6502

tom.

Wow this forum is full of people ready to castrate you for having an issue with anything.

I think you're well within your rights to kick up a stink. Make it known how unhappy you are on the privacy front. As for shipping date, I think you'd be better off chasing some minor compensation over getting that improved.

Good luck.

6. itsallinurhead thread starter macrumors 6502

itsallinurhead

Funny you say that, the same thing happened to a coworker-except what he received was a mix of his info and the other borrower...

7. Iphone5preorder macrumors 6502a

Weird. It's strange how people are so careless with other people's info.

8. EricByer macrumors member

Most people don't care what happens to others so long as their needs are taken care of.

9. SouthsideJohnny macrumors regular

Back after the 4S came out, ATT actually took my phone number from me and gave it to another customer! Yes, actually knocked me off the system entirely for most of a day.

They could not explain how it happened. All I know is it took an in-person visit to an ATT store, much typing and squinting at their computer screen by the sales person, lots of chitchat between the store manager and someone somewhere else by phone.

I did finally get my number back.

Odd, since they practically need a DNA sample to legitimately change service at MY request (being on the Premier Small Business plan).

But then I got all sorts of bizarre texts from complete strangers for the next few days, apparently intended for the other person.

10. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

way to put words in someone's mouth.

he said no such thing, didn't even imply it.

Frankly I would be inclined to do two things.

1. report the whole thing to the state DA/Consumer Protection office.

2. Cancel the order, place one with Apple and change carriers. Even if it meant losing some grandfathered unlimited data or such. To me its not worth it to give money to a company that could screw that kind of thing up.

11. itsallinurhead thread starter macrumors 6502

itsallinurhead

That's a pretty wild mistake to make. What'd they do to fix it?

12. SouthsideJohnny macrumors regular

installed a new SIM card and credited me 200 texts for each of next 2 months. Which was worthless because I rarely text.