Att throttling after 5gb

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ynotrhyme, Oct 2, 2014.

1. ynotrhyme macrumors member

ynotrhyme

Is there a way to get off of this nasty list or does EVERYBODY get throttled at 5gb with unlimited plans?

I'm thinking if you stay way below the 5gb limit for a while maybe they'd stop throttling so constantly? (Currently I always get throttled at 5gb) I higy doubt it though.

Also I sure fricking hope att looks at Verizon and what they did with their unlimited plan customers with removing the throttle and take note.

So dying to change to sprint which doesn't throttle over here In Puerto Rico.

Thanks y'all!

2. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

That is the big question that has been asked over and over. Just this very month, AT&T won in my battle over the unlimited data. They won because I switched to a 10 GB family plan that actually wound up costing me less than my 2 iPhone family plan with my unlimited data plan was costing me. Now to boot, they are offering to take that to 30 GB for $30 more.

My iPad is still on the $30 per month Unlimited Data Plan which does not get throttled. One advantage of switching to the family data plans is the "hot spot" feature.

3. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

I've been an AT&T subscriber since 2007 with the first iPhone. 6 months ago I passed 5GB for my first time and I got throttled, I got throttled again last month. It's a real thorn in my side when I've been with them that long, and they don't just throttle during peak times - it's ALL the time, and it's quite slow.

Thinking of jumping to T-Mobile for that reason among others, the other big reason is being able to use text and data for free in 120+ countries. Plus free international calling (or back to the States when abroad) when connected to wifi.

4. hatuko macrumors member

hatuko

5. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

been with them since 2004. Have gone over 1 time before and that was for like 2 days. I got throttled again in May right before a business trip. I called explained how I would need to use my phone on this trip etc. Ask themed to un-throttle me.

No dice. I escalated it to the highest level I could. No luck. Spent over 2 hours on the phone with them. So from experience its everyone w/ unlimited data who goes over 5 GB in the billing period.

6. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Granted I haven't gone over 5GB of data in a while, I thought throttling only occurred if there was significant stress on a particular tower? I was never throttled after going up to 6GB, and then the end of the billing cycle came and data reset.