ATT to Verizon

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Macnificant, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Macnificant macrumors 6502a

I was going to make the switch to Verizon from ATT on launch day but was thinking about doing it today.

Here is my scenerio, I have the 4s and wife has the 4. I will have to pay the ETF and she has had the 4 since release day so she if free to leave with no penalty.

So if I make the switch this weekend to the shared plan and on the iPhone 5 release day we can up grade to the iPhone 5 and just pay the subsidence price (ie $199 for 16 gb phone) depending on the iphone 5 you choose?

Does this sound correct?

2. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

3. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

You are going to switch without a phone??

Your phones will not work on Verizon. :confused:

4. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Uh...how will you have a phone w/AT&T until then?

5. Macnificant thread starter macrumors 6502a

***** never thought about the phones not working on Verizon GSM......not going to work then I guess

6. Smileyboy macrumors 65816

Smileyboy

lol... let us know how that works when you leave a populated area....:rolleyes:

7. formerpc macrumors 6502

Verizon is a CDMA network not GSM. Therein lies the problem. Apple can switch you over and port your numbers no problem. Why do it early and not have phones for a couple weeks (give or take)?

8. bidwalj macrumors 6502a

IMO, beet to just order or buy phones with a new account and numbers. Test out the phones and then port your numbers to replace the dummy numbers they originally gave you.

9. damant, Sep 8, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2012

damant macrumors 6502

damant

the easiest route is : pre order / create a new account with Verizon on preorder date. once you receive the phones, call to activate and port the numberor else you will have to pay activation fees twice if you open an account with Verizon now.(assuming you have a temporary "Verizon" phone to use).

warning :DO NOT CANCEL the Att account yourself, the porting process will take care of that for you! or you will loose your numbers.

FYI.according to Verizon rep. iphone LTE might need a sim card even though it's a CDMA phone...

10. formerpc macrumors 6502

I thought all LTE phones used LTE sim cards?

11. trlyka macrumors 6502a

trlyka

^I did that. When I switched from Verizon to AT&T (not JUST for the iPhone), I had aprox 30 days left on my Verizon contract. I got the iPhone 3GS with a new number and I had 30 days to change my mind. As soon as my contract end date arrived with Verizon, I ported my number to AT&T, and never looked back.....

12. JerseyDoug, Sep 8, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2012

JerseyDoug macrumors regular

My understanding also. Lte is not CDMA. A simless Verizon iPhone would work on their CDMA network only. That is how I believe it works.

13. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

From my understanding you are right. All the 4G phones on Verizon have SIM cards, just like the iPad does.

14. damant macrumors 6502

damant

my guess is it would have dual radios: the sim card is for LTE and CDMA for 3g fallback..

If the new iphone requires a sim card then a trip to the Verizon store is required if you want to port your number ....

will see.

15. aneftp macrumors 68040

Verizon will still charge u $35 per number if u do this via a live rep.

What u need to do us after setting up new account with new numbers. Is go online and port the numbers via their online process. It's very simple.

I did this last December. Got new line and new number with Verizon for Verizon galaxy nexus. Than a few days later went online via their request new number process. There is option to "port" your old number from different carrier over to verizon. Process takes up to 2 hours. No live rep needed.

16. ycoidi2000 macrumors member

I don't know why this confuses me, but here's the question:

I have two phones I want to switch from AT&T to Verizon. I plan to pre-order online as soon as I can. My understanding is that when I order, I'll create a new account with the first phone and tell the system I want to transfer my phone number. When I order the second, am I also creating a new account? How do I tie it to the account I just created?