ATT Unlimited data plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BLOND37, Nov 7, 2011.

1. BLOND37 macrumors 6502a

this is one of those things, ask 5 different people get 5 diff answers.

i had a single line with iphone and the grand fathered unlim DP.

added a second line and got a samsung galaxy s2 (SGS2). this has the 2GB DP.

if i get rid of the 2nd line, ands swap out/ use whatever word you want, do i lose the grand father plan..

i asked over at the android forums two people say no.

asked two friends one says no the other says yes.

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

What does AT&T say? I think that's the opinion you should rely on the most :)

3. BLOND37 thread starter macrumors 6502a

well the issue came up this morning among my friends and i.. its not even 100% sure i am keeping the SGS2.. i'm still within my 30 day return window..

lets say i call att rep.. and they say yes but i go to the store and they say no.. do i say well jenny sue on the phone said i do, etc..

4. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Quoting Jenny Sue will get you farther than saying "Well, my friend said it would" or "MacRumors said it would".

5. BLOND37 thread starter macrumors 6502a

obviously

----------

so lets say worse can scenario.. i lose it...get the $45 plan..

wifi doesnt count towards useage?

6. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

No, it doesn't matter which phone you are using. If you where to change your phone from an iOS to Android/BB/WP7 device by upgrading at an att store, you would still keep your Unl Data Plan there as well.

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

In that case, tell them Carl G35c said so :D

You are gonna have to deal with AT&T at some point

8. NikeTalk macrumors 6502a

From what I gathered you'd possibly be getting rid of the 2nd line which was never unlimted so I don't think you'll be losing unlimited. But, if you get rid of the one with unlimited then i'm pretty sure you'll lose unlimited.

9. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

As long as the number that's used is the one that has unlimited, you'll be good.

The features are tied to the sim, not the phone.

10. KPOM macrumors G5

This.

I had a BlackBerry Enterprise unlimited plan previously, and when I purchased my iPhone 4S, the AT&T rep was able to transfer my number to the Micro SIM inside the iPhone and convert my data plan to the Enterprise unlimited iPhone 4S plan (which enables HSPA+). Now, when I login online, I can even change back and forth between the regular and Enterprise unlimited plans without losing grandfathering (I need the Enterprise plan to access my office e-mail). The website just makes clear that if I switch to a capped data plan, I can't switch back to unlimited.

11. BLOND37 thread starter macrumors 6502a

*The 4s and SGS2"

ok had an individual plan with grand fathered unlimited data. used my upgrade credit to get the 4s..ordered from apple.com

last week added 2nd line, and bought the SGS at contract price $199.

this morning two questions came up: if i keep the SGS (and deactivate 4s) do i keep the unlimited DP? and what about the upgrade credit. and if/when i cancel the 2nd line would an EFT fee apply? (it shouldnt but one never knows, and i THINK it was my friend who got that going)

FYI, those who dont know me this kind of stuff gets me SO VERY ANXIOUS.. i am still shakey from it..

anyway, after speculating all morning with a friend and online forums i finally picked up the phone and called ATT. (since it dont matter what friend or onine says)i calmly explained the situation. the rep and i agreed that i could return the 4s to ATT, get the upgrade credit back, return and cancel out the 2nd line, and re-buy the SGS under contract price ($199(. (anyone see the problem?) didnt realize it until i was half way to ATT.. i can return the 4s to ATT i got it from apple.com and they require it be sent back within 30 days (which ends today). cant return apple.com to apple stores. whatever LOL..

so i get to ATT and explain the story all over again using my teddy charm Missy ATT here's what we can do:

-you cant use the upgrade credit, you lost that upgraded credit cuz it was used on the 4s (ok np, thats fair)

so because i had the SGS for 4 days (30 day return period) i can return it. and buy another one full price ($549).. cant buy the same one i had cuz its now considered "used" and they dont sell "used" phones. ok. so i asked when we deactivate the 4s and activate the SGS what happened to my grand fathered unlimited data plan (she looked puzzled and said it transfers to the new phone). I said it does? yes of course.. (the unlimited data plan is tied to me/the account and not the phone.... wow color me happy. and my original number that i had for years? she says we'll just switch out sim cards and the moves the number to the SGS. i'm thinking ok this is going way to well when do i get bad news about this.. oh asked about the EFT.. no cuz you are within the 30 days return period..

i figured this was all fair, esp since to keep the 2nd line and use both phones would cost me MORE than buying the SGS2 out of contract. i got to keep my number and most importantly the grand fathered plan! woo hoo..

i kept asking her your sure of this? she kept laughing and saying yes we know what we are doing LOL.. before leaving the store, we tested the SGS, web and test call.. all good..

when i got home the att telephone rep that i talked to this morning called me to see how i had made out.. i explained to her about how i forgot that whole mess where i bought the 4s and she agreed that was out of ther jurisdiction.

12. SurferMan macrumors 65816

Interesting as I was wondering about that, I have grandfathered unlimited and want to upgrade my 3GS but the 4S is having issues getting signal in buildings where my 3GS does no prob. Can't risk not getting signal if various places if I'm running around or meeting clients etc. So I thought about getting the SG2 but wasn't sure if my unlimited plan would roll over, hadn't talked to at&t yet so that's good to know.

So basically if you had grandfathered unlimited, no matter what phone you get, you'll always keep that plan since it's tied to the sim?

13. BLOND37 thread starter macrumors 6502a

correct - last month i did the same thing with a HTC phone but returned it.. the unlimited plan went from the iphone to the HTC, back to iphone when returned it.. today from iphone to SGS2.. its more accuate to say its tied to the ACCOUNT (not the sim) cuz they had to put a new sim in the new phone..

14. SurferMan macrumors 65816

ok that is sweet to know... I kept forgetting to call them, but before I was like f' I don't want to go Droid and lose my unlimited lol. Unless Apple fig out why the 4S is getting such horrible reception in buildings, I'm stuck keeping the 3gs or going Droid.

15. stephen1108 macrumors 65816

When I got my iPhone 4 last year, I lost my unlimited data plan because I had a Blackberry Curve 8900 before, and I was told I couldn't keep my unlimited data from the BB plan and switch it over to the iPhone plan... :(

There's no way I can get that back huh

16. dave006 macrumors 68020

So what iPhone plan did you get when you moved to the iPhone 4?

It should have been the iPhone Unlimited Data plan for $30. If you have an unlimited data plan, you can switch to any smart-phone and get the proper unlimited data plan for that device. So if you went back to a BB, then you should be able to get the BB Unlimited Data plan if you currently have the iPhone Unlimited Data plan.

Dave

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Now its too late but sounds like back then you had a bad/misinformed rep.
    Yes, you could still have kept your unlimited.

18. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

19. dave006 macrumors 68020

Sure there is a way but you will have to do a little work / research. Just swing by this thread and read and learn the two options to get your Unlimited Data Plan back.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1124040

Dave

20. KPOM macrumors G5

I don't normally advocate exploiting loopholes, but it appears you ought to have been grandfathered last year but received some bad advice.

21. moosquared macrumors regular

moosquared

Whaatt.... that suck. I have the unlimited data plan as well and have been switching back and forth between iPhone and Blackberry. Each time, I can always keep my data plan. You must have had a misinformed rep.

22. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

The most long and convoluted post i've attempted to read in a while. It always makes me SMH what people do with their phones, and finagling this or that, return that, buy this, return again.

yeesh.

23. liquidlink macrumors member

Sounds like the Sales person screwed you over bad. I jsut switched from a Blackberry Unlimited Data to the iPhone 4S with Unlimited Data. I can switch to any smartphone and keep my unlimited data, iPhone, Blackberry or Android. The Unlimited Data is tried to your phone number as long as you don't change it you will have it.