ATT Unlocking question, they said I need to insert non-att sim card then restore?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bobright, Sep 19, 2012.

1. bobright, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2012

bobright macrumors 601

So I just got off the phone with AT&T and they granted my unlock on my 4s also received a confirmation email on how to do it.

Now this lady said for me to unlock the phone I have to remove the ATT sim card and insert another carriers sim card in, and then restore in order to unlock. Is this really needed why would I need to insert another carriers sim to unlock it?

It's weird to because in the instructions that were sent out to me via my email it says nothing about inserting a different sim it simply says to back up and restore, and after that it will be unlocked.

So basically could I unlock with or without a sim card inserted? If I do it now would my 4s not work (my iPhone 5 wont be here till Friday)? I'm selling my phone on ebay and don't have another carriers sim so I'm a little confused...told the rep I'll contact them back if I run into any problems.

2. wknapp0924 macrumors 6502

All I did was restore the phone like it said to do, with my current sim in and it said your Iphone is now unlocked.

I think she just meant a different sim needs to be put in to activate on different carrier, they told me same thing.

3. dndandrea macrumors 6502

How did you manage to get your phone unlocked over the phone? I called to do this and they said they don't do it over the phone and gave me the website to do it. Told me to go to att.com/deviceunlock which takes 5-7 days...

I also went in an AT&T store and they said they don't do it in the store either.

4. wknapp0924 macrumors 6502

You talked with a lazy rep, try calling again. She sent me the link instaneous for how to go about unlocking my phone. I unlocked mine last week though, so they are probably swamped with requests this week...

5. rritterson macrumors 6502

The phone has to try to reactivate in order to discover it's been unlocked. There are two ways to do this:

1. Restore the phone
    2. Put in a non AT&T SIM card.

Do 1 or the other; doing both is redundant.

6. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

Ok so basically just restore the phone even with my current ATT service and sim (until my iPhone 5 gets here Friday) and all should be well? Can I continue using it and is there anyway to verify its been unlocked?

7. ann713 macrumors 6502a

You don't need to insert a non-Att sim to unlock it as the IMEI is already unlocked. Restoring completes the process.

8. bacano22 macrumors newbie

I have a 4s but I ordered an iPhone 5 which will arrive Friday, will I be able to get my 4s unlocked???

9. 15danielp macrumors regular

Yes. Same as you, my iPhone 5 will arrive Friday. I called att yesterday and they unlocked my 4s for me. Took less then 5 minutes.

Edit: ...well assuming your upgrading from the 4s. Having paid the early upgrade fee or eligible for full upgrade.

10. wknapp0924 macrumors 6502

Once you finish restoring the phone, a message will pop up in Itunes that says you phone is now unlocked.

11. iphoneclassic macrumors 6502

You can get T-Mobile Micro SIM starter kit for $10 + Tax, if you really want to test.