ATT upgrade after 6 months - question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by manhattanmania, Sep 11, 2013.

1. manhattanmania macrumors regular

so i have a 5, getting 5s. was planning on buying unlocked phone on launch day and selling my old one (not eligible for early upgrade until late oct). in this scenario, for 64gb, the cost is: 850 for new unlocked phone minus whatever i get for the 5. say 450. so 400.

but...could i not just add a new line, so 399, switch new sim and old sim to keep my number in 5s, and cancel the iphone 5 contract ($265 ETF) - therefore total cost $665 minus the 450 for the iphone 5 = $215 total cost.

:confused: am i missing something???

2. GadgetGeek407 macrumors 6502a

make sure you swap contracts otherwise the number is assigned to a line and they will cancel your existing number, in theory yes what you say will and does work as well

----------

by the way tell them what you just said and call rententions and they may just offer you a monitory credit

3. RedRallyeZ macrumors regular

I did the same thing last year for the 5. Same situation and all, as it would have been about a month until my upgrade. I was told that I could not switch the numbers to cancel the "new" number. I would have to cancel my original number and keep the add-a-line number.

It ended up working out for me as I just attached an iPad to the new number, but still a pain to deal with.

EDIT: Just read your post again and it seems your plan was a bit different than mine. yours may very well work.

4. manhattanmania thread starter macrumors regular

your point is probably what throws a nix in the whole thing, as contracts are probably technically attached to the number and not the phone. however, even so, if i were to execute my plan and cancel the new number, for the higher ETF of $325 instead of $265 - the total cost comes out to $275, still less than the $400. i just don't understand why on earth i'd go the unlocked route! unless i am missing something ELSE, haha.