Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i-sidd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
I m eligible for an upgrade, but my wife also wants to upgrade from her iPhone 5 to 5S.

Att eligibility show sometime next year. Can she trade her 5 for the apple store exchange program and get the 5S.

I don't know how this works, she I checked online its says they will give $300 for store credit, so when we go there will the 5s then cost $300( apple credit) -$199(16gb 5S)= $100 still left for store credit.

Can someone explain.

gonzalo12345

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
I m eligible for an upgrade, but my wife also wants to upgrade from her iPhone 5 to 5S.

Att eligibility show sometime next year. Can she trade her 5 for the apple store exchange program and get the 5S.

I don't know how this works, she I checked online its says they will give $300 for store credit, so when we go there will the 5s then cost $300( apple credit) -$199(16gb 5S)= $100 still left for store credit.

Can someone explain.

There are multiple ways. First option is to do their At&t next program which you might need to pay an extra monthly $27 for the 16GB for an update every year, but you have to make 20 payments for it to work, i guess. Total of $540

Second option is to add another "line" to your plan; activate the phone with your wife's number and cancel all data and extra services in the dummy line so it will cost you 10 a month. The total "cost" would be $240 for two years + $199 for the device. Total $439

Third option is to do an early update if you got the 5 during launch, check your upgrade eligibility and if it says "you are eligible to upgrade with a partial discount" the cost would be $199 + $250 (early update fee) = $449

Lastly you can get the contract free phone for $650 without signing another 2yr contract.

Also remember you can use the trade-in gift card from your old phone to make any of these purchases.

cvconde

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2012

Can someone explain.

You will have to pay the full retail (off contract) price of $649 for 1 16GB 5S, so after the $300 credit, you will still need to pay $349.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
You will have to pay the full retail (off contract) price of $649 for 1 16GB 5S, so after the $300 credit, you will still need to pay $349.

^ This.

OP: since your wife isn't eligible to upgrade, it will cost her the full retail price of that phone.

As the above me states, you can use the store credit and use that to pay off and pay the remaining cost.

Edit: In addition, I would recommend what gonzalo12345 said, to be more specific the 2nd option. Add another line, get her the iphone 5S. get a really cheap dumbphone (or if you already have one), call Customer service and tell them that you have a dumbphone and want to cancel the data plan on that new line but you still have to keep that line active because of the upgrade and have that 10 bucks added to your monthly bill. And simply remove the sim card from her iphone 5 and put it on that new 5S. I hope this makes sense??

Last edited:

i-sidd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
Third option is to do an early update if you got the 5 during launch, check your upgrade eligibility and if it says "you are eligible to upgrade with a partial discount" the cost would be $199 + $250 (early update fee) = $449

If I go with this option, then shouldn't I be just paying 449-300 = $149?

or will they still charge me full retail price.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011

If I go with this option, then shouldn't I be just paying 449-300 = $149?

or will they still charge me full retail price.

If she has an early upgrade and she uses that store credit, yes it will then only cost $149. They won't charge you full retail.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.