ATT Upgrade swap question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by famous600, Sep 16, 2012.

1. famous600 macrumors 6502a

famous600

ok heres the deal. My mom has an account down in florida with three lines. I have an account with my wife in nebraska with two lines. Im an authorized user on my moms acount and she said I could use her upgrades. I have read the upgrade guide above and wanted to verify the "upgrade swap". I want to make sure that I can go into the att store on the 21st and upgrade two of her lines WITHOUT activating the sims on her account and erasing her dumb phone sims down in florida? The upgrade guide seems to point that this is doable I just wanted to check in the forums. I remember on the iphone 4 launch I ordered online for her upgrades, got the phones in the mail and threw the sims away and just put mine in and good to go no problems. Unfortunately I wasnt able to pre order this time so I get to have fun standing in line. Thanks for the help!

2. famous600 thread starter macrumors 6502a

famous600

3. nfl46 macrumors 604

Yes. Just go into the store and tell them you want to use two of the upgrades on your moms account, and have them switch it to your number. And that's pretty much it. I plan to do the same, and it isn't my first time doing it.

4. famous600 thread starter macrumors 6502a

famous600

Thanks. Hopefully things go smooth. Cause I know when something is supposed to work a certain way when you call att customer support it never goes as planned. lol

5. nostresshere macrumors 68030

This exact question has been asked over and over and over the past few days.

Yes you can do it.

Anybody can do an upgrade if eligible, and then give or sell the phone to anybody. When you do an upgrade, that LINE is obligated to be in service for two years. You really can put any other phone on that line you want. That line will not be able to get an upgrade or new discounted phone for 2 years.

You could still order online and just wait for the phone to come in vs going to the store.

6. famous600 thread starter macrumors 6502a

famous600

anyone else do something specifically like this? Not just an upgrade on another line on your account.

----------

I understand that and I know I can go in and upgrade her lines then put them on my account. My only concern was the deactivating her dumb phone sims down in florida.

7. famous600 thread starter macrumors 6502a

famous600

8. famous600 thread starter macrumors 6502a

famous600

9. famous600 thread starter macrumors 6502a

famous600

10. dave006 Contributor

dave006

It all comes down to the skill of the rep helping you. 99% chance it works without issue. However, you should know all your Mom's account information in addition to being listed as a "Retail Authorized User".

There is always some risk that the rep will deativate the SIMs on the donor lines, while it is a small risk it would be good to verify with your Mom via phone just before the actual activation is attempted. There is also a small risk that the rep will reset the voicemail on those lines. You will want to review all this in-store before the rep starts the activations.

Friday will be a very busy day for all and activations will be delayed or have issues, it happens every year due to the hugh load on the AT&T and Apple servers.

Dave

11. famous600 thread starter macrumors 6502a

famous600

Thanks for the reply Dave. Yeah im aware it wll be a nightmare. Shoulda just bit the bullet and stayed up to preorder!

12. famous600 thread starter macrumors 6502a

famous600