Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

att-150x156.jpg

AT&T is launching a new app later today to help existing iPhone owners preorder the iPhone 4S. Preorders start this Friday, October 7.

The app, called AT&T Upgrader, informs customers if they are upgrade eligible, what the new iPhone will cost, and let's them place their preorder.

Non-iPhone AT&T customers who want to preorder can visit AT&T's iPhone Upgrade page at www.att.com/phoneupgrade. Both Verizon and AT&T customers can also check upgrade eligibility on Apple's website.

AT&T already offers a number of apps, including myAT&T to view and manage AT&T accounts, and AT&T Mark The Spot which allows users to report dead zones and dropped calls directly to AT&T's network operations team.

AT&T Upgrader will be available on the App Store later today.

Article Link: "AT&T Upgrader App" Lets iPhone Owners Preorder From Their Phones

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2004
Pretty neat. Maybe it will let's preorder tonight before the rest of them.

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
maybe my upgrade date will be moved because its currently 2/18/12 and it would be very nice and i would be happy. because there is no chance of me buying one if i can't get it for the contract price.

RafaelT

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2010
NM
The real question is do you actually trust an app from AT&T to get your order done correctly.

jelly

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2008
I am only a month away from an upgrade so I am hoping that AT&T will move my date up

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I hope that with all the competition now that AT&T will be more flexible with their upgrade policies. I'd consider getting a 4S, now that I'm unsure whether the iPhone will have it's usual upgrade cycle in the summer.

bspence

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2007
This one is more expensive for regular early adopters

I bought the iPhone 4 the day it was released. So here's what AT&T is telling me at the moment:

You qualify for the following iPhone pricing:
Before Nov 25, 2011 After Nov 25, 2011
iPhone 4S : 16GB $449.00 $199.00
iPhone 4S : 32GB $549.00 $299.00
iPhone 4S : 64GB $649.00 $399.00​

(I skipped adding the 3GS and 4 pricing. It's similar)

Is this the first time AT&T hasn't allowed people who bought the last iPhone access to the next iPhone as soon as it's released? I don't want to wait for a month and a half to get the new iPhone and I don't want to spend an additional $250 for the privilege of getting it early. I wonder if AT&T will announce that we'll be allowed the 2-year contract discount?

jelly

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2008
I bought the iPhone 4 the day it was released. So here's what AT&T is telling me at the moment:

You qualify for the following iPhone pricing:
Before Nov 25, 2011 After Nov 25, 2011
iPhone 4S : 16GB $449.00 $199.00
iPhone 4S : 32GB $549.00 $299.00
iPhone 4S : 64GB $649.00 $399.00​

(I skipped adding the 3GS and 4 pricing. It's similar)

Is this the first time AT&T hasn't allowed people who bought the last iPhone access to the next iPhone as soon as it's released? I don't want to wait for a month and a half to get the new iPhone and I don't want to spend an additional $250 for the privilege of getting it early. I wonder if AT&T will announce that we'll be allowed the 2-year contract discount?

I bought mine launch day and mine says the 16th of November. This would be the first time and I have had every phone. Hoping that they do work something out for us.

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8L1)

If I preorder on this app, will I be able to pick it up in the store?

jshbckr

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Dang. Last year, AT&T Let us upgrade early if we were eligible before the end of the year.

I guess I'd only have to wait until December 26th to get it fully subsidized, I can wait.

But if I did want it right away, it would be about the same price to terminate AT&T and jump somewhere else as it would to pay their higher price.

jelly

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2008
I made a note of that fact to AT&T when I emailed them to ask to be moved up. Sprint has better overall prices for the 3 iphones/data that I would want so hopefully they take that into consideration and let some of us upgrade a bit early

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
Odd. Bought my iPhone 4 on launch day and can't upgrade until February 2012. AT&T is bunk for this. Way to annoy a loyal customer, and now with the iPhone everywhere if I have to wait I M jumping ship as their coverage stinks for me.

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
To check your upgrade eligibility...

...in your iPhone phone app, dial *639# and press the Call button.

You'll receive a text in a few moments.

For example, I bought my iPhone 4 a couple weeks after introduction. My response was, "As a valued customer, we can offer you an upgrade with a new 2-year commitment and an $18 upgrade fee."

I'd have to pay the subsidized price for the iPhone 4S, of course. But it'd be the subsidized price. My contract would be extended for two years, too, AFAIK. But that's okay, I really have no problem with AT&T.

RafaelT

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2010
NM
Odd. Bought my iPhone 4 on launch day and can't upgrade until February 2012. AT&T is bunk for this. Way to annoy a loyal customer, and now with the iPhone everywhere if I have to wait I M jumping ship as their coverage stinks for me.

Yeah! Screw at&t for not letting you upgrade early because they haven't recouped the money they spent on your last iPhone subsidy yet and not wanting to give you one earlier then you agreed to! :rolleyes:

AT&T let's you upgrade early when you spend more money with them and they can recoup the subsidy cost more quickly, which is very fair. It's not fair to knock them for not allowing early upgrades every year just because they did it once.

It pains me to defend at&t but in this case they are right.

mpeterson78

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2008
Washington, DC
Will either of these apps, or the websites themselves, allow me to pre-order the 4S if I want to buy it unsubsidized? Not really looking to extend my contract right now...

musiciscool

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2008
Los Angeles, California
Yeah! Screw at&t for not letting you upgrade early because they haven't recouped the money they spent on your last iPhone subsidy yet and not wanting to give you one earlier then you agreed to! :rolleyes:

AT&T let's you upgrade early when you spend more money with them and they can recoup the subsidy cost more quickly, which is very fair. It's not fair to knock them for not allowing early upgrades every year just because they did it once.

It pains me to defend at&t but in this case they are right.

boo hoo, poor att.... maybe if they gave us the option of using a paid for iphone without buying a data plan you'd have a point. As it is, at the moment they detect any smart phone, they charge you a data plan, even if you didn't use it or want it.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt though on the iphone upgrade. I think they may extend a wise and generous offer to allow early upgrades at a slightly higher than fully subsidized price. The Apple event was only this afternoon, and not much time for ATT to post this info. If however, they give us the finger, they would be limiting Apple's sales AND enabling their competition, it would only make sense if they wanted to get back more bandwidth....

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
One of my two lines is eligible for cheaper upgrade pricing through AT&T, but it's not the line I actually want to upgrade. I called AT&T to see if I could switch eligibility between my two lines, and the girl I got said I had to go to an AT&T store to do that. This sounds bunk, as I thought I'd heard they can do this eligibility switch between lines right over the phone using their system. Does anybody have any experience with this? Thanks in advance!

And yes I have an iPhone 4 and YES I am psyched for the 4S and YEESSSS Siri is freaking AWEEESOOOMMME so all the haters can keep hating, and the rest of us will happily live out our lives in The Future. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.