ATT users are about to eat a whole lot of crow...................

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cali4ever, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Cali4ever macrumors member

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/22/edit-verizons-datagate-plans-leaked-in-excruciating-detail/

[​IMG]

ATT users are about to eat a whole lot of crow...................
    So where are the att subscribers on the board who said VZW will NOT allow grandfathered data when upgrading to a new device?
    Ready to eat some crow?

[​IMG]

Verizon Indirect Dealer Memo

As of this morning we have been given the green light to start training on the data changes Verizon Wireless is making effective 7/7/11.

$29.99 unlimited data will be discontinued effective 7/7/11

EXISTING CUSTOMERS- That have our $29.99 unlimited data plan WILL BE GRANDFATHERED IN, they will keep their unlimited plan after 7/7/11

EXISTING CUSTOMERS- That current have the unlimited data WILL BE ABLE TO UPGRADE AND KEEP the unlimited data feature (No known end date on this as of this moment)

EXISTING CUSTOMERS- That add lines post 7/7/2011, will NOT be able to choose the $29.99 unlimited data feature

NEW CUSTOMERS- Any customer that sets up service from now, until 7/7/2011 WILL BE ON, AND WILL BE GRANDFATHERED into our $29.99 unlimited data package

NEW CUSTOMERS- Any new customer that set up service AFTER 7/7/2011, WILL NOT be able to choose the $29.99 unlimited plan

BUSINESS DISCOUNTS- Currently our business discounts apply to the $29.99 data plan on the primary line only. Most discounts are 20% despite whatever monthly access discount they have

BUSINESS DISCOUNTS- After 7/7/2011 data discounts will only apply to the $50 and higher data packages on the primary line.

Discount break down ex. of customers with a 20% feature discount on their primary line. ($50-20%=$40/month for 5GB and includes the business e-mail feature)

-- ($20/GB vs. $40/GB+ Business e-mail )

New data pricing for smart phones is as follows:

$30 for 2GB with $10/GB overage

$50 for 5GB (this also includes business e-mail at no additional charge) with $10/GB overage

$80 for 10GB (this also includes business e-mail at no additional charge) with $10/GB overage

So all changes effective July 7th, 2011.

Existing customer KEEP their $29.99 unlimited data plan

If an existing customer upgrades from a feature phone to a smart phone after 7/7/11, they will NOT be able to add on the unlimited data package. They must choose from the new data plans.

Anyone who sets up new service with unlimited data, upgrades from a feature phone to a smart phone with unlimited data, or customer currently on the $29.99 before July, 7, 2011 will be grandfathered in.

These changes also apply to employee plans as well (personal accounts w/work discounts applied)

SO, This is a huge time for us to set our customers up with the right package for them! We only have 14 DAYS remaining for unlimited data, and until the new data pricing takes effect. (14 days to setup new customers w/unlimited data, and customers upgrading from a feature phone to a smart phone)

PLEASE, PLEASE make sure we take advantage of this heads up and get our heavy data users set up on these unlimited plans before they change.

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Huh. Eating crow?
    What? :confused:

Perhaps someone can expand on that? :eek:

3. Cali4ever thread starter macrumors member

There were a lot of folks on this site that said, VZW will NOT Grandfather unlimited data, they will make you change your data plan when you upgrade. Well looks like they were wrong and it's time for them to eat the crow! :D

4. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

sorry I am an AT&T users who does not have to eat crow. I believe I was one who said that they would grandfather them in. I would of been shocked if Verizon said no.

That being said Verizon plans are a bigger rip that AT&T's. The lowest plan for the smart phones is 30 bucks and still 2 gigs. That is no way to even encourage the grandfathered people to switch off of it.

5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

*shrug* I never said that. I was expecting it actually... Verizon would be looking really stingy if they DIDN'T grandfather people in.

Now it's confirmed. Good on them!

6. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

If anything it's the other way around, we (us AT&T users) always said VZW was going to switch to a tiered data plan, and in fact they will, a more expensive one.

If they're to follow in the same suit, I don't see why they wouldn't let current VZW customers not be granfathered in with their current unlimited plan.

7. flipster macrumors 6502a

Woah, anyone see this part?

Maybe we can keep our grandfathered plans when 4G is available for the Verizon iPhone too.

http://img806.imageshack.us/i/imagebkl.jpg/

"Packages are the same for 3G and 4G LTE smartphones".

8. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Unless Verizon changes their stance on charging $30 for 2gb I will never be a customer. I'd rather go pre-paid than let those greedy bastards do the equivalent of fisting to me like they will so many others...

9. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Who Cares? This is an iPhone forum. Not an AT&T vs Verizon forum.

10. Biolizard macrumors 6502

Sir, your metaphor disturbs me.

11. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Oh.

Well it wasn't only AT&T users who said that. I think a lot of people said that. So it doesn't really matter.

But this is good vor VZW customers :)

Exactly. It's like Verizon is not even trying.

I heard the customer REPs will talk about creating "a customized plan" for you.
    NO ONE FALL INTO THAT TRAP.
    They are just finding out what tier you fall under.

12. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

Those plans are absolutely horrendous. No plans under $30 for smartphones? 30$ for 2GB? Wow... AT&T wins here. Verizon once again proves to be the most expensive wireless carrier in the US.

The only thing that makes these plans bearable is if tethering is included in that data cap.

I'll stick with my unlimited data on AT&T.

13. EddyP macrumors 6502

I don't know. You tell us. You're the one claiming there are "a lot of folks on this site" who thought unlimited would't be grandfathered.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

15. dave420 macrumors 65816

Actually I think it was the Verizon customers saying that because of their past experience with Verizon. As an AT&T customer I assumed they would go the same route AT&T did. I'm glad they did as that will make people happy. And it is good for them as they will retain customers.

16. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

A totally useless thread. 'Cept maybe a few folks learned a new idiom.
    :)

17. elfy macrumors 6502

Could someone please explain the whole 'eat the crow' thing?

18. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Why should AT&T customers even care about Verizon customers?

19. wovel macrumors 68000

Do you like have a link to a post where anyone said that? Was it more then one guy?

20. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

AT&T tried and lets be honest even provides a pretty good incentive for low data users to jump ship. Cutting your data bill in half is not a bad deal if you are low data user. Hell even dropping down to 2 gigs is a deal for a lot of people who never use more than 1.5 gigs in a high month. Even in a high month they still would be fine and save 60 bucks/phone a year.

21. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

So "a lot of folks on this site" = "ATT users" apparently?

Nice try at making an inflammatory headline that you then immediately admit is nonsense. :rolleyes:

22. ap3604 macrumors 68000

I was wondering: When the Att-mobile merger goes down and Att add's all of T-mobiles towers... will Att have better network coverage than Verizon?

It seems like the network coverage is the only reason currently left that someone would opt for Verizon:
    - Data prices suck compared to Att (tiered $30 minimum vs $25 or $15)
    - No talk and surf at the same time like Att
    - No rollover minutes like Att
    - Slow 3g data speeds (4g LTE blows chunks for battery life)

23. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

It's possible.
    The FCC will force AT&T to sell or lease out some of the towers in area's where there is redundant coverage.

Plus T-Mobile has one hell of a backhaul infrastructure in many cities that AT&T would love to use.

24. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Agreed. And as you mentioned, I'm not sure how they are going to convince people to drop down to 2GB while paying the same amount of money. At least AT&T put a little thought into it. They even offer a $15 plans which allows more people to get smartphones (especially those who want a nice phone but not an expensive bill) or people who just want an iPhone in general regardless if they need data. AT&T is smart.

25. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Yep that $15 a month plan pushed my dad over the edge on it and he loves it. The email sent to his phone really changed things for him. He pretty much quit checking it online completely.

Price suck agree there.
    Talk and surf - well Verizon is adding that one some of the new phones. Thunderbolt for example can talk and surf when it is on the 3G network.
    -Roll over lets face it cost AT&T next to nothing. It is pure marketing because how often do you really dip into your roll over minute at all.

-Has a much larger 3G network. 4G battery life sucks right now but like 3G of the past that is only going to get better in time. We are still on first gen LTE products.