Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

attlogo.png
AT&T has announced that it will be introducing new Mobile Share Value Plans for families starting February 2, bringing reduced costs for both new and existing customers with monthly data plans of 10GB or more. Under the new terms, a family plan including two lines, 10GB of data, and unlimited talk and text starts at $130 and increases $15 for each additional line thereafter.

The updated pricing applies to new customers who buy a phone under the AT&T Next early upgrade program and sign up for an eligible data plan, as well as existing customers that switch to or already have the required data limit. New customers who also bring their own smartphone or purchase one at full price can also receive the new plan.

Furthermore, AT&T's new plans can also be combined with an existing promotion that offers a $100 bill credit to new and existing customers who add a new line of service. Last December, the carrier originally launched Mobile Share Value Plans offering a $15 monthly discount to shared data customers that met one of four requirements, along with a new 18-month option for AT&T Next.

The move comes in the midst of a marketing war between U.S. cellular carriers, particularly between T-Mobile and AT&T. Recently, AT&T also began a new promotion to offer up to $450 in credits to customers that switch to it from T-Mobile, while T-Mobile launched a similar program offering up to $350 in credits to customers that switch to its network.

Article Link: AT&T Launches Lower-Cost Mobile Share Value Plans for Families

scott523

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Saint Charles, MO
$160 for 4 lines and 10GB shared data?

Wow. Is this too good to be true or what?

For $20 more than T-Mobile, I'm jumping on this deal ASAP since T-Mobile can't match the level of service here.

Last edited:

GadgetGeek407

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2009
florida
seems like they are really discouraging 2 year contract subsidies on phones. I have an 8 line 15gb plan currently on the original mobile share plan, base plan being 160 plus 30 per line. I like this new plan it would save me plenty however upon renewing my contract for a phone subsidy considering i usually upgrade all my lines at the same time every year, my lines will go to $40 per phone vs the 30 I'm already at.

Such a pain, why not just unlock the phones to begin with and if I want next, let me use it on all 8 lines rather than restrict it to only 4?

Any thoughts from others?

Bearxor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
I feel like the last line isn't that accurate.

TMobile offers $300 in credit to switch and up to $325 in the form of a debit card to pay off an etf.

This plan is pretty good though. I am already on a 10gb share plan and this will essentially kill any interest I had in moving to TMobile, since TMobile will be more expensive for me than this and I get better coverage.

GadgetGeek407

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2009
florida
I feel like the last line isn't that accurate.

TMobile offers $300 in credit to switch and up to $325 in the form of a debit card to pay off an etf.

This plan is pretty good though. I am already on a 10gb share plan and this will essentially kill any interest I had in moving to TMobile, since TMobile will be more expensive for me than this and I get better coverage.

The quality of data LTE wise and as far as advancements ATT puts to their networks will always far outweigh tmobile even if Sprint does buy them.

joeshmo2010

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2009
Seattle, WA
This looks like an awesome plan, I may have my dad switch our current mobile share family plan switch to this. Love AT&T! Will never ever switch. Especially to tmobile and their db CEO and sore-loser marketing.

GadgetGeek407

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2009
florida
It just does not make any sense that they would charge $25 MORE a month if someone agrees to sign a 2 year contract to stay with them. Its like they are penalizing you to guarantee staying with them. In my case if 8 lines sign a contract I would pay 200 more a month times 24 months just to get subsidized phones. How is that an incentive to stay? Almost encourages carrier hopping

imaginex20

macrumors 65832
Jun 17, 2009
Is this even worth it over the conventional family plans because if we upgrade a line the smart phone price jumps up $40 per line for the next plan?

sixrom

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
seems like they are really discouraging 2 year contract subsidies on phones. I have an 8 line 15gb plan currently on the original mobile share plan, base plan being 160 plus 30 per line. I like this new plan it would save me plenty however upon renewing my contract for a phone subsidy considering i usually upgrade all my lines at the same time every year, my lines will go to $40 per phone vs the 30 I'm already at.

Such a pain, why not just unlock the phones to begin with and if I want next, let me use it on all 8 lines rather than restrict it to only 4?

Any thoughts from others?

A ten year AT&T customer, that's very happy with their service, I recently called and pleasantly asked what they could do for me. My existing plan consisted of three lines, two with ETF's of over $245 each.

They volunteered to switch me to the latest mobile share plan, including paying off both ETF's for me, as they thanked me for my loyalty. I was also upgraded from 6GB of data to 10 GB. Along with unlimited talk and text, they reduced my monthly bill below $110.

I had no idea they'd be so accommodating.

chakdey

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2008
Is there a catch to this plan, because it sure does sound to good to be true. It doesn't sound like AT&T. :rolleyes:

thevofl

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2006
Is there a catch to this plan, because it sure does sound to good to be true. It doesn't sound like AT&T. :rolleyes:

Agreed. I worked for AT&T for 8.5 years (And don't miss it one bit). They are a completely reactionary company; they rarely lead. . . . Well, . . . I take that back. They lead when it comes to price increases.

Having said that, I went over the details myself. I was on a 6Gb 2 iPhone, 2 iPad plan for $180/month. Now, under this plan, it drops to $150/month for an increase to 10Gb of traffic.

While I couldn't find a catch, I am waiting for the shoe to drop.

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2012
This looks like an awesome plan, I may have my dad switch our current mobile share family plan switch to this. Love AT&T! Will never ever switch. Especially to tmobile and their db CEO and sore-loser marketing.

Yes, let's hate T-Mobile.

Because AT&T would have done this (lowering price, more attractive plans) anyway without T-Mobile putting pressure on them. Right?

Every customers should thank T-Mobile for making AT&T and Sprint compete.

nikhsub1

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2007
mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
Switched my plan online just now... 3 iphones and 1 ipad, I had 10GB of shared data already and was paying $220/month after the plan switch $155 for a savings of $65/month... not bad, equals out to $780/year which pays for a new phone at full price every year... I'll take it.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
Are you upgrading your phone now or waiting? One thing I'm a little leery of is starting a one year upgrade cycle at the midpoint of iphone releases. But I'm rocking a 5 and wouldn't mind getting a 5s now. It'll just suck in September when I can't leverage my annual upgrade to get the 6 right away.

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2012
Theory #1: AT&T is doing this out of the goodness of their heart for the customers.

Theory #2: Maverick T-Mobile is forcing AT&T (and Sprint) to response.

Take your pick.

- - - - - - -
Now T-Mobile, AT&T and Sprint have bring your own phone, finance your phone, or pay your phone in full.

As for the rate plan

nexusae0_upload_thumb.png

T-Mobile_Simple_Choice_Plans-630x206.jpg

AT&T

line 1 and line 2: $130
each additional line: + $15

MikeyMike01

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
I’m going to have my family switch to this plan and switch myself off prepaid onto an additional line. No one in my family upgrades very much, and I've been buying off contract for a while. $15 a month (for my line) is great deal.

Last edited:

malizivko

macrumors member
May 4, 2012
In my case I can't save anything :(. Currently I have :

- 700 Shared minutes
- Family Messages
- Unlimited family messages
- iPhone 1 Unlimited Net
- iPhone 2 3GB
- iPhond 3 2GB
- 21% corporate discount

Total i pay $190 after taxes and with new ATT I would be paying $220...No benefit for me.

Ideanj

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2013
In my case I can't save anything :(. Currently I have :

- 700 Shared minutes
- Family Messages
- Unlimited family messages
- iPhone 1 Unlimited Net
- iPhone 2 3GB
- iPhond 3 2GB
- 21% corporate discount

Total i pay $190 after taxes and with new ATT I would be paying $220...No benefit for me.

Where are you getting this math from?

$100 (10GB bucket) - $21 (Monthly Discount) = $79
$15 (each smartphone) x 3 = $45
Total = $124

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.