ATT/Verizon off-contract iPhone 5 unlock same as factory unlock?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by alexcsm, Oct 1, 2012.

1. alexcsm macrumors newbie

I'm currently using an unlocked 3GS on T-Mobile. Looking to upgrade to iPhone 5, but they haven't released the factory unlocked version on the website yet.

I've heard rumors that ATT and Verizon off-contract iPhone 5's can be unlocked. Is there any difference between this and a factory unlocked version?

2. pallen310 macrumors newbie

I believe the Verizon one is already gsm unlocked so it will work with any carrier as long as a micro sim is available. Using it LTE is a different story.

3. ANMA dojo macrumors regular

not just rumors. confirmed by many here (including myself).

** off-contract, full-priced AT&T iphone 5 are factory unlocked (Apple employees will adamantly deny this though)
    ** locked AT&T iphone 5 + cheap <$10 ebay unlock = factory unlocked
    ** Verizon iphone 5 (both contract + full-priced) = factory unlocked for GSM networks (including T-Mobile)

4. zeyank macrumors member

The other posters are spot on. The only difference is you have to wait for Apple to release the OFFICIALLY unlocked version in the States. I bought a full priced Verizon iPhone 5 with no intention of using Verizon, I have T-Mobile on it now, works great.

5. utl768 macrumors 6502

ur stucking use edge network though so whats the point?

6. ANMA dojo macrumors regular

7. zeyank macrumors member

I have 3G on my iPhone 5 with T-mobile. I really could care less about 4G though and I live in Europe which is the main reason I bought the Verizon version.

8. JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK

The Apple employees will adamantly deny this though is VERY true! I have a commitment free iPhone 5 proudly on Tmobile. When it was bought they said NO its carrier locked. When I called to exchange for a larger capacity model and was explaining what I needed they told me that it wasn't possible and I said well I'm talking to you on my unlocked iPhone 5 now .... Silence ... Well they aren't suppose to sell it to you that way!

9. nanchen242 macrumors newbie

They wont sell off contract iphone 5s here anymore on NYC :(

10. ANMA dojo macrumors regular

AT&T store? Verizon store? I've heard both yes and no about this

Apple Store -- they should, if any in stock

11. nanchen242 macrumors newbie

nope..went inside all 5 stores here in nyc. apparently its only in nyc b.c to stupid re sellers taking advantage

12. PeterTran macrumors member

that sucks...thats even worse than not having them in stock... but being able to buy it device only...its like they're taunting you... No iphone 5's in the OC either:(