ATT/Verizon off-contract iPhone 5 unlock same as factory unlock?

alexcsm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2012
I'm currently using an unlocked 3GS on T-Mobile. Looking to upgrade to iPhone 5, but they haven't released the factory unlocked version on the website yet.

I've heard rumors that ATT and Verizon off-contract iPhone 5's can be unlocked. Is there any difference between this and a factory unlocked version?

pallen310

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
SoCal
I believe the Verizon one is already gsm unlocked so it will work with any carrier as long as a micro sim is available. Using it LTE is a different story.

ANMA dojo

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2010
I'm currently using an unlocked 3GS on T-Mobile. Looking to upgrade to iPhone 5, but they haven't released the factory unlocked version on the website yet.

I've heard rumors that ATT and Verizon off-contract iPhone 5's can be unlocked. Is there any difference between this and a factory unlocked version?
not just rumors. confirmed by many here (including myself).

** off-contract, full-priced AT&T iphone 5 are factory unlocked (Apple employees will adamantly deny this though)
** locked AT&T iphone 5 + cheap <$10 ebay unlock = factory unlocked
** Verizon iphone 5 (both contract + full-priced) = factory unlocked for GSM networks (including T-Mobile)

zeyank

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2009
The other posters are spot on. The only difference is you have to wait for Apple to release the OFFICIALLY unlocked version in the States. I bought a full priced Verizon iPhone 5 with no intention of using Verizon, I have T-Mobile on it now, works great.

utl768

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2009
The other posters are spot on. The only difference is you have to wait for Apple to release the OFFICIALLY unlocked version in the States. I bought a full priced Verizon iPhone 5 with no intention of using Verizon, I have T-Mobile on it now, works great.
ur stucking use edge network though so whats the point?

zeyank

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2009
ur stucking use edge network though so whats the point?
I have 3G on my iPhone 5 with T-mobile. I really could care less about 4G though and I live in Europe which is the main reason I bought the Verizon version.

JodyK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2010
Northern Atlanta suburbs
not just rumors. confirmed by many here (including myself).

** off-contract, full-priced AT&T iphone 5 are factory unlocked (Apple employees will adamantly deny this though)
** locked AT&T iphone 5 + cheap <$10 ebay unlock = factory unlocked
** Verizon iphone 5 (both contract + full-priced) = factory unlocked for GSM networks (including T-Mobile)
The Apple employees will adamantly deny this though is VERY true! I have a commitment free iPhone 5 proudly on Tmobile. When it was bought they said NO its carrier locked. When I called to exchange for a larger capacity model and was explaining what I needed they told me that it wasn't possible and I said well I'm talking to you on my unlocked iPhone 5 now .... Silence ... Well they aren't suppose to sell it to you that way!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.