ATT vs. Verizon, whats your PERSONAL reasoning? - not a battle over specs

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mdapple, Sep 16, 2012.

1. mdapple macrumors regular

Main reason I went Verizon is that ATT does not have LTE service in my area. I gave up the grandfathered ATT unlimited plan because of no LTE.

2. jredecop macrumors 6502a

Verizon has WAY better coverage in my area, west Texas. We just got LTE as well, even in some really small towns. I can drive 20 minutes and be on edge with AT&T.

3. Dkorda macrumors 6502

AT&T is great in major cities.. But once you get in he boonies, it's EDGE city. In the same boonies, Verizon has solid 3G.

The winner- Verizon. 3G in more areas.

4. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

ATT and Verizon are both very reliable in my area(Arlington, Dallas, Ft. Worth, etc.). Verizon is a bit more expensive however and utilize CDMA. ATT's gsm actually comes in handy when traveling a lot.

5. Khryz, Sep 16, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2012

Khryz macrumors 6502a

For NYC, I hear AT&T's LTE is over twice as fast as Verizon's LTE. Plus, having faster 3G and Faux-4G to fall back on is good too.

Oh, and grandfathered Unlimited Data for AT&T.

AT&T wins.

6. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I have dropped a lot of calls with ATT.
    My wife is on verizon and I am on ATT so we have been able to do a side by side comparison for nearly 7 months.
    ATT is faster in most cases, however Verizon has better coverage for where we go.
    All the phones will be on verizon come friday

7. Buckeyestar macrumors 6502a

Buckeyestar

I've been with AT&T since the 3G. I was grandfathered in for unlimited, but I don't think I ever passed 1GB of data since I use wifi as much as possible. I stuck with them through the 4S, but I'm done now.

I preorder my 5 with Verizon. I got dropped calls and experienced dead spots in many places where I work, which my Verizon using coworkers don't experience. My speeds with AT&T arent great either. I supposedly get "4G" with my 4S, but im lucky if i get 1.5 Mbps down. Also, AT&T hasn't announced any intention of adding LTE to my area any time soon while it's already here with Verizon.

I'll be spending more for Verizon, but I think the service improvement will be worth it. And if it's as good as I hope, I'll drop my home phone service. I can't rely on AT&T enough to do that now.

8. shox2k2 macrumors 6502

att

I use ATT. I get the same discount with either. And I was very happy with verizon but I switched when the iphone 3g came out. Now I just stay because I like the talk/internet at the same time. But I don't travel much and ATT has good service where I am in Kansas. When the 3g came out we didn't have 3g service yet but LTE just launched a couple months ago so I'll be ready for that although I mainly surf web pages so LTE isn't a big issue.

9. TG1 macrumors 6502a

TG1

A few reasons for me:
    1. Verizon has LTE in my area. AT&T does not.
    2. Verizon offered me double the data at the time (4 gb for $30/mo)
    3. GF is on Verizon
    The last one is probably the most important, but the three of these together were pretty compelling. :)

10. NinaJ macrumors newbie

I've never really had much of an issue with AT&T. I've been with them for awhile now (about 6 years). I love the talk/surf feature. I didn't think I'd need it that much, but I'm always texting and looking stuff up when I'm on the phone with someone.

Additionally, AT&T is cheaper for me than Verizon.

11. gsugolfer macrumors 6502a

gsugolfer

Verizon's service is MUCH better in my area.

As a previous poster mentioned, they even have 4G around here in some small towns.

12. DaQuickPG macrumors member

I drove 700 miles down east coast and was able to log in to Skype and call my family in Europe for free while being in the middle of nowhere and there were no delays lags or interruptions. That is y I am with Verizon.

13. ECJ macrumors 6502

ECJ

For me it's been a long debate, but Verizon won out. I've been with AT&T since the first iPhone. Here in the Memphis, TN area AT&T's coverage is decent, but once you leave the city it goes down hill. Like my reception in my house has become worse in the past few months.

Reasons AT&T lost my business
    1. Fake 4G and not expanding real LTE faster
    2. FaceTime policy
    3. Easily overloaded service in congested areas
    4. No LTE in Memphis till end of year/Spring

Reasons Verizon gained my business
    1. LTE in Memphis and my house/small town 20 miles away from Memphis.
    2. LTE in all cities we travel frequently.
    3. Cheaper share plans for 2x iPhones and 2x iPad 3
    4. Free Personal Hotspot
    5. No crazy FaceTime policy

14. bogatyr macrumors 65816

Verizon. Far better 3G coverage in rural areas and LTE all over south east michigan. Oh and unlimited tethering is a nice bonus.

15. magpie maniac macrumors 6502

magpie maniac

I'm am a loooooooongtime AT&T customer. I bought my first mobile phone with BellSouth Mobility which later become Cingular Wireless which then became AT&T.

AT&T has reliable voice and fast data in the areas I go. Never had a problem with dropped calls either. I own land up in the Blue Ridge Mountains about 200 miles from my full-time residence. I get full bars in the mountains with AT&T while it's a dead zone with Verizon according to the locals.

Between AT&T and Verizon, it's probably six and one half dozen of the other between the two companies for most mobile customers. I just don't see the point in switching since AT&T has provided me with reliable service.

16. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Verizon does not have coverage at my house, or my Sisters but ATT does. Verizon's coverage at moms house is poor. Verizon is slow to respond to problems with their towers.

ATT has been much better here but the coverage changes year to year. ATT used to be better at the camp, now nothing works without an external yagi antenna.

My sister has much more problems with dropped calls on her Verizon phone.

ATTs Microcell works great for those homes with poor cell coverage and good internet connections.

Traveling to from Europe and the Caribbean has been seamless on ATT. No need to fuss with sim cards or pick up a temporary phone.

Verizon's hardware has been less reliable for our extended family.

The performance/coverage differences have been narrowing.

ATTs family plan has been quite a bit less money than Verizon's equivalent.

I used to work for verizon....

17. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

just curious what part of NH? the lakes region verizon was much better than ATT.

18. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

I'm sticking with AT&T for the following reasons:
    • My city (Wichita, KS) is one of the places they already have LTE.
    • I have great coverage in my area, particularly at home and in the places I would use my phone the most (not actually that great at some of the places I work, I move around, but I don't actually use my personal phone at work).
    • I have a good FAN discount with them. Price comes out to be better.
    • Still have "Unlimited" data. Basically it's 5GB/month for $30, not a bad rate.
    • I've had both VZW and ATT service in the past and I personally have had better customer service with AT&T.

19. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

AT&T has always given me great service (including customer service), and the coverage in my area is much better than Verizon. I travel a bit, and it seems like wherever I go I have coverage even when those around me don't. No problems with dropped calls, I never experience antenna-gate, and LTE has been in my area for a while. The only complaint I have ever had about AT&T is their unwillingness to put me back on my legacy texting plan after I inadvertently dropped it during the 4S preorder. So, I don't pay them for a texting plan at all now... their loss.

I had Verizon for my landline (which I haven't had for several years now) and for internet service, and especially with internet, it was problem after problem. I HATED calling their customer service line because I could pretty much guarantee that I'd be on the phone with them forever, hang up completely frustrated, and end up figuring out how to solve my problem by myself. So, I was never tempted to move my wireless service to Verizon.

So, I stay with AT&T, keep my unlimited texting, and wait for them to eventually change their mind about Facetime and tethering (which I don't really care too much about anyway).

20. thomamon macrumors 6502a

thomamon

I can confirm this is not true.

21. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

AT&T in my area is strong! LTE fast and my bill is cheaper than anyone I know with VZN. For me I wouldn't even think about switching

22. HighFlyers macrumors member

HighFlyers

I just broke off my family's family plane with the iPhone 5 preorder. Went AT&T for a few reasons. I've had no issues with AT&T in San Diego, and we have LTE. AT&T was cheaper per month that Verizon. And last is the no data while talking thing.

23. ckorhonen macrumors member

ckorhonen

1. AT&T coverage is good in my area. A lot faster than Verizon, and I don't have a problem with dropped calls.
    2. Grandfathered unlimited. I barely pass 1gb per month since I'm on WiFi a lot, but its good to have.
    3. Really cheap after discounts - $65/month.

My only frustration with AT&T is their policy around the hotspot and facetime features - occasionally both would be useful but I don't really want to move away from unlimited, and certainly not to the mobile share packages, they would push my monthly bill to ~$100.

24. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Southeast NH, valleys seem to be a big issue. Mom is in Western Pa.

I noticed from Lincoln NH that ATT coverage seems to go further out the Kancamagus than Verizon.

25. aristobrat macrumors G4

This is why I'm switching from Verizon back to AT&T:

[​IMG]

Verizon has had LTE where I live for going on a year now. Unfortunately, they only seem to have it on 60% of their towers, so their LTE coverage here is NOWHERE near as good as their voice/3G coverage is. The photo above is from my Verizon LTE iPad -- 1 bar of LTE signal. My Verizon iPhone 4s, at the same location, has 4 bars of signal. That's how inconsistent their LTE signal strength can be compared to their other network.

If you're near a tower here that has LTE and are getting 3+ bars, their LTE here is great, 5-15 mbps. However, if you're in one of the many areas between LTE towers and get 1-2 bars (which isn't uncommon), the speed drops dramatically, to where AT&T's 4G network here can be 2-3x faster.

For me, there are wayyyy too many of these slow areas for me to consider doing an LTE phone with Verizon. I figure I'll give them this year to come back and finish putting LTE on ALL of their towers here, and decrease those gaps, and then I'll reassess next year. However, I'm not a fan of them only having "Share Everything" plans (which are more expensive, for less, the way I use my phone), so I doubt I'll go with them next year anyway.

It was really surprising to me to see Verizon's LTE network here in this condition, a year after they turned it on and started advertising it as the fastest network around.