Att won't unlock

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by i-sidd, Oct 11, 2012.

1. i-sidd macrumors 6502a

I filed the form online and submitted two days agoa nd last night I got a message from ATT saying that they will not unlock becuase either the contract is not up or th ephone number is no longer associated with the phone.

This is my wife's phone....yes, the contract will be up in January and the phone has been upgraded to the IP5, but i want to give it to fmaily abroad.

So if I wait until january when the contract gets over will they unlock it then or will they then say that the phone number is not associated the phone.

I also have another question.... my 3rd line is eligible for an upgrade and mine is not until next year i have an IP4S. I know I can upgrade swap and use it on my number, so Now I will be using IP5, but next year when my phone is eligible will I be albe to upgrade on the 2nd line which is now IP5.

I hope I am able to explain what I mean.

2. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

Pretty sure you phone has got to be out of contract before they will unlock

3. indyzzzz macrumors 6502a

If you are in a hurry, att iphone unlocks are 5-6$ on ebay.

4. i-sidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

If its a matter of out of contract then its fine. I just hope it not because of the phone no longer is asscoiated with the number.

5. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

just go this route.

6. satchow macrumors 6502

If it becomes too much of a hassle to get AT&T to unlock it, you can always pay around $8 for an unlock on eBay.

7. hoon2999 macrumors regular

Same

They told me the samething. Picked up iPhone 5 at AT&T with upgrade, asked the staff to unlock my previous phone, and being told to wait till the actually end of contract date.

8. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

As soon as I activated my new phones I was able to go on AT&T chat online and get the unlocks processed. I upgraded about 7 months early and they still did it right away. To finalize the unlock both phones had to be restored in iTunes.

9. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

Dealing with AT&T to unlock the iPhone - even when you are out of contract - can be a frustrating process. I've successfully used one of the unlocking services available on e-bay. Worth the $8. No hassles. Quick. Easy.

10. nlkccom macrumors 6502a

AT&T won't unlock your iPhone as long as you're still on contract. I needed to travel aboard about 3 months ago (contract just ended last month), and tried to get AT&T to unlock my iPhone. Tried many times, they just simply refuse to do it.

I've been with AT&T/Cingular/PacBell literally since day 1 back in 1997, and still they won't do it for a loyal customer, which is fine. So now, moved to Verizon. Bu-bye AT&T. :cool:

Get your unlock on Ebay. Quick and easy.

11. popcorn-in-sac macrumors member

Had the same issue...

I had the same issue using the online form. Took them a few days and they said the same thing - wouldn't unlock it. I had also just upgraded to an iPhone 5 from a 4S that was under contract until next year. I simply called customer service and talked with technical support -- within 5 minutes they issued the unlock and I restored via iTunes and got the unlock message.

It wasn't a problem at all, and they agreed the 4S was no longer under contract due to the upgrade to iPhone 5 (on the same number of course).

Mark

12. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I had a very similar situation, and I have been with them since 1999. They refused, I ended up unlocking from a site for about $15. I am still with AT&T I enjoy their coverage, and don't have any plans to leave them, mostly because I am sticking with GSM for travel. LTE could make me think different since my travel is usually to Japan, and AT&T's LTE isn't the same as Japan's.

I even when sent emails to the CEO and had phone calls with someone on the board of directors (I think the board president or something).

I didn't see the logic of having an ETF and locking the phones, they told me if I cancelled and paid the ETF that I could get it unlocked. The problem is I didn't want to cancel my contract. I have a good grandfathers plan and I think the service is good. Oh well, you have to use the gray market to have the best of both worlds sometimes.

13. kmichalec macrumors 6502a

Did you pay full price for the iP5 or something? If you got it subsidized, the old contract is voided, and you signed a new 2 year agreement, so the old contract should no longer exist. If that's the case, then you should have no issues getting it unlocked with AT&T. I would call again, and request Tier 2 tech support. They seem more willing to work with you on the unlock.

14. i-sidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

No I did not pay full price, signed a new contract I guess to get the subsidized price. I will try calling tier 2 tech support.