Attaching photos to emails is a terrible experince.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sulpfiction, Jun 13, 2012.

1. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

I send a lot of pictures/proofs via email on my 4S. And sometimes I will be viewing emails on my phone when I decide to reply to one, with a picture or a proof. So I hit reply, type up a long message, only to realize that I cannot attach a photo from the email. This is a real PIA!! I just can't believe I cannot attached a pic from inside the email? Right now I have to copy the email I just typed, exit out of the email, open photos, select the photo, choose "email photo", then manually type in the email address, paste my copied text, and send it. Doing this also creates a new email string which i don't like either. I just want to continue the coversation that was already started. Am I missing something? Any help would be appreciated.

2. nathdogg macrumors regular

You can press the home button to exit the mail app, then open the photos app. From the camera roll press and hold any thumbnail until copy appears. Then you can copy that photo and past it into the email you have started writing.

Its a pain, but I believe they will be addressing this in ios6.

3. og3og macrumors member

og3og

Like basesloaded said, help is on the way with iOS 6, but in terms of helping you now with staying in the same email thread and not starting a new one, you can touch the desired photo until it says copy and then paste it into the email. You would still have to exit the mail app, but you would be able to still stay within the same email string.

4. HiddenPuppy macrumors 6502

HiddenPuppy

I too am hoping that ios6 is going to make attaching anything easier. One of the most important functions of email is to be able to attach files. I know there are work arounds such as have been posted, but no really easy way.

OP I feel you pain. I know that doesn't help, but we are there with you.

HiddenPuppy

5. sulpfiction thread starter macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Thanks guys! Your suggesstions will be put to good use! Can't wait for iOS6.

It always makes me scratch my head when I think about why Apple wouldn't have this implemented already. It's one of the most important functions when emailing. Why would they leave it out until now??

6. takeshi74 macrumors 601

It's most important to you. Other people have other most important features. Don't just assume that your preferences are universal no matter what the topic.

7. sulpfiction thread starter macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Are u crazy? Or just brainless? Attaching to an email is not really even a feature. It a part of the email function. Its something you shouldnt even have to think about. Whether its text I am sending, or an image shouldn't matter. And I don't look at it as important to me. Do I attach files on a reg basis? Yes. But so does everyone else in the world that uses email. I don't think there is one person on the planet who uses strictly text email only...And never attaches anything. I'm not complaining because of some weird feature that I want apple to implement because of what I do in my life. I'm complaining because I can't understand how it was missed. It's rediculous for everyone that uses email. Period.

It's ok think Apple isnt perfect. Now take off ur tinfoil hat and get some fresh air.

8. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

what do you use email for?

9. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

I don't even think it's such a pain.

but like you said, just exit the mail app and start up your photo app. you can select multiple photos, copy them and once back in mail just paste them.

is it really that bad?

----------

of course. but once it gets beyond photos i think apple's approach is well thought through. write what need to write, switch to the necessary app to copy any relevant files, then just paste them where you need them.

or do we want a drop down menu with a list of all possible files. i can image it might get quite messy on a 4" screen. once it get's to pdfs, word, open office, gifs, powerpoint, keynote, photos, etc...

just my thoughts.

10. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

a shame no one has come back to this thread because i believe it has a lot to do with the principles of how apple believes the tablet concept should work.

to let go of ancient computing (file systems, etc.) and start enjoying it in a very different way. something like that...the beers don't help since i'm not a native tongue. please excuse me.