Attempt to erase and reinstall OS X on Air results in Yosemite?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by capathy21, Oct 2, 2014.

1. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Forgive me if I am missing the obvious. I picked up a base model Macbook Air on Best Buy's sale but decided I want to exchange it for a 256ssd model. When I got it, I installed Yosemite beta. Tonight, I went through the process to erase and reinstall OS X via internet in order to get it back to Mavericks. The process went through and after about an hour, the OS downloaded it and was on the new Mac startup screen.

I have always heard that this process reinstalls the version of OS X that the computer shipped with (which would be Mavericks) but to my surprise, it downloaded and installed Yosemite.

Any direction would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to get it back to factory Mavericks so that I can exchange for the 256SSD model.

2. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

I don't see how its possible it downloaded Yosemite, I think its more likely it didn't actually erase the contents of the hard drive and get rid of Yosemite in the first place. Perhaps list the steps you went through to wipe the drive and download the OS?

3. capathy21 thread starter macrumors 65816

capathy21

Sure I followed these steps from Apple's website.

Once I did that it took about an hour and downloaded the OS. It finished and then I started the setup just like a new mac and low and behold it was Yosemite. Weird right?

4. joshlalonde macrumors 6502

joshlalonde

5. capathy21, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2014

capathy21 thread starter macrumors 65816

capathy21

Ahh thanks. This answers my question. I didn't make a backup like I should have.

I am currently downloading Mavericks from the App Store. I should be able to throw that on a bootable usb and reinstall it that way correct?

6. joshlalonde macrumors 6502

joshlalonde

Just torrent a copy somewhere or borrow a friend's Mac. Then wipe your drive, and install Mavericks.

7. kvizzel macrumors 6502a

Go to Disk Utility erase the hard drive. When installing OS it should install Yosemite. To solve this issue restart after wiping your disk. Then it should reinstall Mavericks.

8. Roland P macrumors newbie

This worked for me. I also tried to install mavericks through internet which messed up the admin account. Wiping the ssd solved it.

9. capathy21 thread starter macrumors 65816

capathy21

Yes this worked! Thanks so much.

10. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

capathy's response in another thread asking for advice on 128GB vs. 256:

Guess he took his own advice and changed his mind.

Lou

11. capathy21 thread starter macrumors 65816

capathy21

Yea I figured someone would call me on that. My wife will be taking this 256 model and I will take her 128. She will be using hers for work and needs more storage than I do.

12. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

You probably used the Yosemite recovery volume, which installs yosemite. To install mavericks, boot into internet recovery.