Attempting to connect Wii to Mac with Elgato EyeTV Hybrid 3

Discussion in 'iMac' started by davidpalermini, Jan 21, 2011.

1. davidpalermini macrumors newbie

I've done everything that every tutorial says to do to connect my wii to my iMac, but it doesn't pick up the sound or video. There isn't any game mode, and neither the A/V, nor the S-Video does anything but show black. Do I need an antenna? Do I need cable?

Any help is super appreciated. I just spent $100 on this and it's non returnable.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

It should work, so is the Composite cable connected correctly? Have you tried another source, like a DVD player or VCR?

TEG

3. davidpalermini thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't know how they could be connected incorrectly. I've got the composite connected from the Wii reds, yellows, and whites plugged in plugged into the Hybrids, and the black isn't plugged in to anything. The USB is plugged into my iMac.

4. davidpalermini thread starter macrumors newbie

5. Relentlos macrumors member

Relentlos

is Eye TV set to composite?

Assuming it's only standard definition input (not counting the cable input), you should have the yellow, red, and white wires for composite. The black is an S-Video line which you don't need to use.

Also check the wii picture settings. I remember I tried playing my wii on my plasma tv after it was setup differently, and it turned on, but as soon as I tried playing an old super mario game, the screen went out. Changing the screen settings prevented that problem.

6. davidpalermini thread starter macrumors newbie

By EyeTV, you mean the Composite EyeTV channel not the physical device right? (I ask because I've seen a different version of it, the one that isn't the hybrid, and I don't know if there's some physical switch for composite on that)

Because yes, I tried the composite channel on every possible setting (Digital, Cable, Analog, etc) and it doesn't say No Signal, but it's just a black screen.

When you had screen issues were you able to hear the sound? I'm unable to pick up any sound. It briefly said something about maybe not having enough USB bandwidth, but I unplugged everything from the back of the computer except the EyeTV and still nothing.

7. davidpalermini thread starter macrumors newbie

Also, would any of the de-interlacing settings be interfering?

8. davidpalermini thread starter macrumors newbie

Bump.

I'm dying here guys. This is absurd. Any help at all?

9. AndrewH12 macrumors newbie

I had the same problem - just solved it

Probably a bit late for David but I had the same problem and sorted it out by connecting the wii to a friends TV, and changing the wii settings; go to:
    wii settings 1...
    select "screen"
    TV resolution
    change to 60hz (480i) AND NOT 50hz (480i).

now follow exactly the same connections you described above and the black screen should change to the wii home menu.