Attention UK Higher Edu buyers: 3 year warranty standard again

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TheBigApple2006, Jan 31, 2008.

1. TheBigApple2006 macrumors regular

It appears that the Higher Education 3 year warranty is now standard again for new Macs purchased this way. The extra 40-50 pound fees on MB and MBPs (and desktop Macs, for that matter) are hence NOT necessary.

This is a snippet from the T&Cs on the Apple UK Higher Edu store:

10. One (1) year Limited Warranty

10.1 All new Hardware carries a one-year limited warranty against defects in materials and workmanship. The warranty terms and conditions, which form part of and are incorporated into this Contract by reference, are available for you to see by clicking the appropriate hyperlink below. Such warranty terms and conditions are also contained in your Apple Hardware box. You may review a copy of the limited warranty on Apple Hardware products, including its limitations and exclusions, before your purchase, by clicking the appropriate link below. Such a limited warranty covers all Apple Hardware except those explicitly mentioned below in clause 10.1.1

One-year limited warranty for new products except iPod

One-year limited warranty for iPod

The one-year limited warranty does not cover Software, Services or any other Products. You should refer to the relevant Software licences for warranties which may apply to your Software.

10.1.1 All Apple-branded desktop and portable computer products shall be subject to a 36 calendar month warranty period commencing from the date of purchase (the date of your invoice).

There is also a note to this effect on the routing page, http://apple.procureweb.ac.uk/

2. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I think what you get for the £50 is the AppleCare phone support (which runs out for all Apples after 90 days I believe).

3. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

This is correct. Also, Applecare is onsite, whereas the HE warranty isn't and it is much more difficult to get your machine replaced with the HE warranty than Applecare.

4. TheBigApple2006 thread starter macrumors regular

The 58 pound extension was actually necessary to get warranty up to a few weeks ago - I had a couple of friends being forced to purchase it to be able to go beyond the standard year warranty. The 3 year warranty is identical to the one year you get in stores. I live in London, so I am not really sure about the on-site if you live far away...