ATTN: 2011 iMac i7 owners. Any of you have CRUCIAL RAM installed?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Amnesiac1, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Amnesiac1 macrumors 6502

I'm going to buy the following RAM:

[​IMG]

Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Laptop Memory Model CT2KIT51264BC1339

Link: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...na&AID=10521304&PID=4169666&SID=19mf0ocbsthwp

I am going to be installing in addition to the existing 4GB of RAM in my iMac that came pre-installed. I know questions like this have been asked a million times before, but here I go anyway. Badger, bring on the ire.

1. Will the combination of Apple RAM (the 4GB that comes with the iMac) and this Crucial RAM prove problematic?

2. See thread title. Has anyone installed this exact RAM? Does it work for you? If so, has it worked for you for more than two weeks? No problems?

Thanks in advance.

2. mrfoof82 macrumors 6502a

Crucial memory kicked my dog, stole my car, and made my girlfriend break up with me.

No. Wait. It works fine (16GB). Just like all other memory that meets the spec and JEDEC certification. You do not have a unique situation. If you buy memory that meets spec and install it, it works unless defective. The same as it's always been.

3. Amnesiac1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Are you sure the memory I linked to is the right fit for an iMac, though? It says "laptop memory".

4. sth macrumors 6502a

ATTN: Amnesiac1. Yes, it will work.

However, noone can guarantee you not getting a bad module. Chances are slim, but it happens from time to time, no matter what manufacturer.

[edit]: Yes, "laptop memory" is correct. The iMac uses SO-DIMMs.

5. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

iMacs use laptop memory.

If you used the "memory selector" on the crucial.com website, it will point you to the right memory.

No one can absolutely guarantee that nothing will go bad with the memory you buy, but Crucial has a very good reputation.

6. Amnesiac1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay, but a bad module is no harm done, right? I mean, sure, I'll have to return it, but it doesn't destroy my HD or do any irrevocable damage onto my HD or my SSD? Or it will leave my computer perfectly fine? I don't want to risk forever damaging my computer through kernel errors and the such just b/c of a piece of faulty RAM...

7. smali macrumors regular

Do you worry about what kind of umbrella you are going to take to a desert?

8. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

No, a bad RAM module won't kill your computer. It may, of course, not boot properly or crash frequently when you have it installed, but once you replace the original RAM everything should be back to normal.

9. Amnesiac1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Often.

10. Amnesiac1 thread starter macrumors 6502

11. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

why are you bumping? Its against forum rules

and yes this RAM will work

12. Amnesiac1 thread starter macrumors 6502

For something like this:

13. apple.fiend macrumors member

Multiple posts have said it will work. I dont see what the problem is, and certainly no need to bump a thread which has been answered.

14. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

I'm using the same stuff in my Macbook Pro, it will work fine.

15. Eduardo1971 macrumors 65816

Eduardo1971

16. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

At least 5. And asked the same thing in other ram threads.

And told "that ram will work fine" all 10 of those times.

Theres no "ire" here. Theres the intense urge to slap my forehead and yell "oh my f*&#& God", if that counts. You have linked to the same spec ram several times, always been SO-DIMMs.

One of your more recents posts was on the 16th. "IM ORDERING IN SECONDS." And that post was 3 pages long, and we talked about RAM in that post as well. Post #25 in that thread you linked to this same Crucial ram. And then you said "Im sticking with 4 gigs."

Dude, its not just me. Look at the other posters.

I understand its a big purchase, but many (if not all) of these exact questions have either been asked by you before, or covered before, or could be answered with a google search.

One thought I have: You should write down all of the questions you want/need the answers to and search this forum, the apple web site and google for the answers. Then write down the answer so you dont have to ask the question again. The questions you cant find the answers to, put a little star by it. Once you have 5 or so questions saved up, ask them all in one post. Be sure to write down the answers.

I have this same issue with one of my employees. She asks me "how do I XXXX" and I give her the step-by-step, and sometimes even a second way she could do it. A week later she will come back and ask the same question. Arg. And then I have to tell her to write it down. Keep a "stickies" file with the steps in it.

Just a tip.

17. Eduardo1971 macrumors 65816

Eduardo1971

I've just noticed that he also has UPS vs. Surge Suppressor thread going on...we'll see how that goes.

18. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

It's the same over there. Doesn't seem to want to get it -- that is, what's at stake. Seems extraordinarily tentative and disbelieving. Seems to require some number larger than two or three in order to accept the (same) answer.

I suppose most of us have behaved in one or two of these ways as novices, but not all of them at once, and not in multiple threads.

19. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Yeah badger^2 is quite right indeed. oP here is worrying too much. Seriously ram wouldnt blown your computer, even if it defective

Just stop this kind of question already. Buy you iMac (which should happened SECONDS ago!!), buy Crucial RAM and enjoy it.

U'd be still under apple warranty anyway, why worry? It's okay to ask something u wanna know, but it's been answered and u just keep asking again and again, making another thread again with similar question again.

Too much again, i know, and so are u. Looks childish u know

Why didnt u join all of ur question in a nice single thread?!! Think simple, and progressive, like any Mac owner should

20. m5mike macrumors newbie

I put 16GB (4 x 4GB) Crucial in my i7 27" and it worked fine.

At first it would not boot but I rechecked and I had not pushed it in far enough and it was not properly seated.