Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adamjay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
Indianapolis
i came across this bug in another forum from back in november. the 867mhz G4 is commonly running at 533mhz... but there is a fix, there are some real downsides and i'll get to that later but first..

<pasted from other forum>
This is with the 867MHz model (the first one). In Terminal, type the following:

sysctl hw.cpufrequency

Odds are, you will see that your CPU is running at 533MHz, not 867. This is with the processor set to "Highest," etc.

The only work-around we know about so far is:
1. Shutdown.
2. Reset power manager (shift-control-option-power; hold 5-10 seconds).
3. Start up.
4. Launch Terminal and test.

RESTARTING or SHUTTING DOWN (and not resetting the power manager) makes the problem appear again.
<end paste>

now the downsides are A) you have to do this shift-control-option-power thing each time you turn on your computer from being off and B) i've noticed that whenever i do this, while it does give me back my 867mhz, it also reverts my Mac's clock to December 1969... even if i had the time set locked. and it appears as unlocked when i open it. this really sucks. sure you can set the time back easily with apple-automatic-time adjust, but if you arent on the interenet and are on the road somewhere and need to use iCal, this can be a REAL pain in the butt.

now i dont know if this is just a bug and the computer is actually running at 867mhz when terminal says 533mhz. i'll try to run some benchmarks and see if there are any noticable differences when terminal reads these these two different speeds. and perhaps other users will do so as well. hopefully that is the case and we wont have to do this 4?-finger salute all the time and then reset the clock. ugh.

adamjay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
Indianapolis
okay i just ran Xbench v1.1.3 and at 533mhz it performed exactly as well as when the terminal read 867mhz. so i guess this is a terminal bug. and i am glad. but in the slim chance that it isn't , and users are experiencing slower performance than usual.. try the shift-ctrl-option-power between shutdown and startup and see if it helps.

carry on.. hehe.

rfenik

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2003
wow... i checked and my 867 IS running at 533.

What are the downsides to fixing that?

-ko

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
it's not running at 533, that's why it's a bug. if you set the machine to run at the highest speed, i.e. 867, it's running at that speed regardless of what the terminal command says.

all that command does is it grabs the cpu clock speed as listed in some system control parameters. the command is not actually clocking the cpu to see how fast it is.

so don't worry about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.