Attn: factory unlocked iPhone owners

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macfan88, Apr 22, 2012.

1. macfan88 macrumors member

If you are a factory unlock iPhone user, please answer if you know. Do you see the congrats to unlock on your iTunes every time you restore? or is it jut a given you are unlock and no ingrates screen ever? Thanks

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

3. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Well, great. I wonder whether it has something do with what's normal; unlocked phones are the norm here so it's not worth making a song and dance about it, whereas in the US they're considerably rarer. That's just a guess though! :)

5. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I've never seen it and I've bought both my iPhone 4 and 4S from the Irish Apple online store.

6. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

If it's a factory unlocked iphone, you won't see the message. I have purchased a factory unlocked iphone and never got the message. However, I was a bit paranoid to whether I did bought it unlocked or not so I went to the apple store, talked with the salesperson, he then took me to the genius and talked with the genius about the question I had, he took my serial number and went to the back room, he ran the serial number and he printed out the paper and explained that it was indeed unlocked.

http://www.imei.info/ If you are sure or unsure whether you purchased an unlocked iphone you can always use this site to check your imei.

AFAIK. You get the message if the phone was locked before and you requested an unlock from the carrier. My iphone 4 was locked to AT&T, after I requested an unlock, I backed up and restored and got the message.

7. macfan88 thread starter macrumors member

8. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

Yea my factory unlocked phone doesn't show the message but I know it's unlocked as I have a t-mobile sim in it right now :)

9. tonie macrumors 6502

That message doesn't mean anything and someone on the other thread already answered the OP. I don't know why he created a new thread. I unlocked two locked iphones and never received such message.

10. macfan88 thread starter macrumors member

If you didnt get that message, then you were never locked in the first place.

11. tonie macrumors 6502

I said my iPhones were locked. How do I know? Because I was using gevey sim on one of them and it wouldn't work without gevey. I tried both phones with tmobile sim before they were unlocked but they don't work. Many people reported that they didn't receive that message.

12. macfan88 thread starter macrumors member

Actually you didn't say your phones are locked. Check your verbiage, it's hard to understand you.

13. tonie macrumors 6502

Really?

14. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

First you said you have a locked iphone. Secondly, you are using gevey, so that's one method of unlocking a locked iphone but that you won't get a message, and is likely to lock itself if you remove the gevey sim. Thirdly, if you requested an unlock from a carrier that allows unlocking such as AT&T. Once unlock is approved and is ready, upon back-up and restore, you will get a message telling you that it is unlocked.

On the other hand, OP specifically asked if the message pops up for Factory unlocked iPhone not a locked iphone. So your post is irrelevant in this thread.

15. terraphantm macrumors 68040

I have two carrier unlocked iPhones and one factory unlocked. The carrier unlocked phones both got the congrats message if I use a non-AT&T SIM when activating ; the factory unlocked device did not. With that said I haven't tried actually deactivating the phone and then seeing if I got the message