Attn: Powerbook 15" 1.25 Owners

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by kmarketing, Mar 27, 2004.

  1. kmarketing macrumors 6502

    Mar 26, 2004

    I am still deciding which to keep between my 15" and 17" 1ghz.

    One of the major factors is the warranty, and while the 17" has 2 yrs of applecare left, I am actually unsure of if my company will be willing to transfer the warranty of 15" to me. I'll just assume that they will not.

    So i have a 15" with no warranty. It is in perfect condition with absolutely no flaws, not even the slightest scratch. No latch problems, no white spots, or uneven illumination, nothing.

    My question is: If I don't have any problems now (especially with the screen), what is the likelihood of them coming up in the future.

    Have any of you had a perfect machine for some time, and then one day boot up to find the screen issues? Or were they present when you took the powerbook out of the box? I am extremely careful with the powerbook, so I am thinking that if any of the screen issues come out, it won't be because I mishandled the powerbook, and that the problems just came to be on their own. Is that possible?

    Thanks so much!!!!
  2. jsw Moderator emeritus


    Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    This may have no bearing whatsoever on your Macs, but, for what it's worth, my 1999 PowerBook had a flawless screen when I got it, and it still has a flawless screen. I mean, it looks "blurry" compared to the sharper ones of today, but that's how it's always looked. No problems at all with it. And it's been used maybe 75% of the days I've had it (4.5 years).

    I've heard of screen issues with the PBs, but, generally, I think LCD's that are good for years tend to stay good for quite a while (they dim, maybe, but seldom kill off pixels).
  3. MacNut macrumors Core


    Jan 4, 2002
    Im going on 4 months now and no problems besides the one dead pixel out of the box but that is nothing to complain about.
  4. cb911 macrumors 601


    Mar 12, 2002
    BrisVegas, Australia
    i had a 667 TiBook (legendary machines i say... still miss mine :( ) from the time they were released and i had it for about a year and a half, taking it to and from college everyday. no problems at all.

    now i've got a 1.25 AL PB, and one dead pixel but no other problems. if you're as careful as you say with it you should have nothing to worry about. they are surprisingly tough machines. ;) :)
  5. JasonL macrumors regular

    Feb 13, 2004
    Ware, MA
    APP is transferable, so I'd at least look into it. I haven't had any problems with my 15" 1.25GHz PB, although I haven't had it for very long.

    You already own a 17" PB? What are you going to be doing with that? If you need something portable the 15" is definitely the way to go, but your initial post is a bit unclear.

    Good luck.
  6. Maverick macrumors member

    Aug 19, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    I've only had my 15-inch PB for a week now, but I bought it refurbished and the screen still turned out flawless. I tried out both the 15-inch and the 17-inch at an Apple reseller and stuck with the 15-inch because of the portabilitiy. Granted, it all depends on what you'll be using your computer for, but the 15-inch is perfect for me to bring to graduate school and fits easily in my backpack.

    That said, I'd go with the 15-inch. :) Applecare is transferable, and you're unlikely to notice any major speed difference between the 1.25 and 1.33 GHz processors. Ultimately though, it's your call.
  7. kmarketing thread starter macrumors 6502

    Mar 26, 2004

    I just called apple, and gave them the serial number. They said that it was built in 04, and that I can definitely purchase applecare in my name. So for the $300+ I can have definite peace of mind.

    Here's the issue now.
    My 17" 1ghz that I bought for $1700 has still 2yrs and 1month of applecare left on it.
    So with applecare, the 15" 1.25ghz that I also bought for $1700 will come out to over $2000. Sure I have an extra battery for it, but it's still over $2000.

    So now, here comes the question - is the 15" 1.25ghz worth $300+ more than the 17" 1ghz? I think this will pretty much be my decision.

    Following these forums, I expect a powerbook update within a year (at latest right?) So considering how everyone says to wait, I will at least like to have one of these powerbooks until the updates roll out, and then wait for a revision B, and then sell and upgrade.
    So would you think that the 17" can hold me until then, or is the 15" that much better and will last much longer?
    And which machine will get closer to my purchase price the 17" for $1700, or the 15" for $2000?

    This such a tough decision because they are just 2 gorgeous machines!!! My wife and I played dvd's (Toy Story 1 and 2) on both of them side by side, and the truth is the 15" looked crisper and clearer, but the 17" was great also and of course, just stands out.

    Please help!!

Share This Page