Attn: Those who activated with 999 trick, or pay as you go trick.. is 1.1.1 working?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zub3qin, Sep 27, 2007.

1. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Many people activated the iPhone with the fake social security number trick (999-99-9999) or got a pay as you go plan, and then cancelled. This left the iPhone active, letting you use all features but the phone.

Now the thought was that by activating this way, instead of via the "Independence" software hack, future Apple firmware updates should cause no problem.

Has anyone who activated in this manner, successfully updated with 1.1.1?

2. ellsworth macrumors 6502a

I'm waiting til this whole thing settles before i do it...

3. zub3qin thread starter macrumors 65816

zub3qin

So you are one of those who didn't use the hack to activate? You used the fake SSN trick? Did you find everyting including youtube worked if you did it this way?

4. ellsworth macrumors 6502a

yup... I decided to install it this morning (about a half hour ago) because last night, wifi on the phone clunked out after I sync'ed (sank) my iphone to itunes. So, not being able to trouble shoot the problem, I decided to update because I want my wifi working even if i DON'T have the 3rd party apps. Unfortunately, I didn't bring my sim with me to work so I have to wait for lunch or 6pm to get home to pop it in. I'll keep you up to date dude.

i Can tell you one thing which might be scary, after updating the firm ware, the iphone says:
    "NO SIM card Installed. Insert an unlock and valid SIM to activate iPhone"

Now, the question is.. you canceled your Go-Plan and no longer have service, is your SIM still Valid/Unlocked???

I'm still on my prepaid plan just to make sure I really want to keep this thing... too many loops and strings to keep it running as a stand-alone ipod... so I'm not sure if a canceled plan would computer lock the SIM and the iphone. Scary thought for future upgrades where I won't have a Go-Plan.

5. ellsworth macrumors 6502a

o.k so I went home and got my SIM card and pop'ed it in. I plugged my iphone to my laptop and ran itunes, The normal iphone window pop up and on my phone it said "Activating iphone" . All works well now. My wifi is working again.. Everything is clean though.. no 3rd party Apps. I'm curious to hear how this process goes/went for someone who activated with the 999 trick and canceled their Go Plane before updating... Let us know.

6. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

I cant make heads or tails of what ellsworth was saying there. I am on prepaid right now, used the 999s trick to get the prepaid option. Phone was legitimately activated, didnt use independence. Update was no problem.

7. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

what is what?

8. Obbies macrumors newbie

Yup, it works with the 999 method

It all works fine on my iPhone!

I didn't hack my iPhone, and had used the 999-99-9999 trick for service. I updated to the latest ver. 1.1.1 on the iPhone last night, and updated to the latest version of iTunes 7.4.2 on my Mac.

Everything works fine. Except the loss of my custom ringtones made by using Rogue Amoeba's "Makeiphoneringtone" app. No real loss there. The phone does exactly what I want it to do, so the custom ringtone... without hacking the iPhone.... I can live without.

Someone, somewhere will make another free app that will enable free custom ringtones again.... someday. I can wait.

<><
    Obbies

9. zub3qin thread starter macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D052; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

so is there a "clean" way to activate the phone (ie no installed hacks) without a subscription to AT&T? I heard the 999 trick no longer works. it appears that the clean activation (then cancel service) is the only way to get to 1.1.1 short of a 2yr subscription.

10. zub3qin thread starter macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D052; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

so is there a "clean" way to activate the phone (ie no installed hacks) without a subscription to AT&T? I heard the 999 trick no longer works. it appears that the clean activation (then cancel service) is the only way to get to 1.1.1 short of a 2yr subscription.

11. ellsworth macrumors 6502a

Sorry. I guess I didn't explain myself further. I don't want to use my iPhone as a phone, but rather instead of buying a crippled iPhone Ipod (aka THE iPHONE Touch) I opt to purchase an iPhone and use it as an Ipod. I did the 999 thingy and everything is cool. I'm still on the prepaid plan but I'm going to cancel before this month is over... My point was, I'm not sure if cancling my prepaid plan will allow me to update in the future.... that's what I'm afraid of.... Updating with a canceled GO-PHONE SIM installed

12. zub3qin thread starter macrumors 65816

zub3qin

This is big news that should be getting more play on macrumors headlines.
    1) can ANYONE confirm that a prepay or payasyougo plan that was cancelled allowed updates to 1.1.1 ?