ATT's LTE Throttling

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ayeying, Sep 12, 2012.

1. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

So... does anyone know how much throttling ATT does for LTE? Right now for 4G, it goes to almost unusable. Is that the same for LTE or does it slow down to say... 4G speeds?

This is literally the one thing that I would upgrade my iPhone to a 5 if the throttling speed is better.

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

3. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

ask on an android forum. there are numerous LTE phones already on the "unlimited" plans in that arena.

4. EnderTW macrumors 6502

I have a samsung galaxy s3, I'm literally at 14gbs. I haven't noticed it like it was with my iphone where I couldn't even load a page.

5. calvy macrumors 65816

My AT&T LTE iPad gets amazing speeds here in St Louis, MO. I expect the same for my iPhone 5.

6. AaronTrieu macrumors member

android people say throttling isn't bad. still usable to stream audio. netflix videos will get kicked down a notch in quality.

Tough to say though. there are gonna be millions of new LTE users on sept 21st.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Interesting.
    I wonder if anyone ran a speedtest while throttled on LTE device and what rates they got.

8. ayeying thread starter macrumors 601

ayeying

I can stream music and netflix videos without freezing even on throttled 4G. It won't load fast but it works once it's loaded. If it's the same, it's really not a deal breaker for me.

9. ayeying thread starter macrumors 601

ayeying

Now that the iPhone 5 is out, does anyone get throttled yet with data usage?

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its only been 3 days.

11. milan03 macrumors 6502

milan03

Once you go over 5GB of data used, they throttle you to 60kbps. About dial-up speeds... Sucks.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You actually experienced that or just heard from someone that knows someone else?
    I heard throtling on LTE devices doesnt go that low and some have said they get about 1mb once throttled on LTE but Im not 100%.

13. milan03 macrumors 6502

milan03

Oh yeah on numerous Android LTE phones.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Oh, that sucks then:)

15. ayeying thread starter macrumors 601

ayeying

I get 0.2Mbps so to have 0.6Mbps is actually an improvement

16. ThePreditor macrumors member

Perhaps you can enlighten us given your infinite experience?

17. iMaconApple macrumors 6502a

im on a GS3 AT&T unlimited data grandfather... on LTE with unlimited grandfather you can use up to 5GB before you get throttled to super fast EDGE speeds:eek:..you get get a free text from AT&T saying
    "blah blah too much data this month reaching 4.6GB use wifi around you blah blah to reduce data speeds" .. so my friend has a i5 on AT&T and i wanted to do a experiment and see if it will still get low speed ...i cut my micro sim to nano sim and slapped it on the i5 and behold:eek: throttling still takes affect not a surprise...same speeds less then 1mb down and up on both devices.... i got hit by throttling on my iphone 4 before on 3G and it was not as bad as on LTE..on 3G throttled its not constant under 1MB down/up.. sometimes i get 3/5+MB down and up on 3G throttling... seems like AT&T has it program were its under 1MB down/up 95% of the time till your new cycle starts..light web surfing is fine/pandora works fine/twitter is working but when loading pics takes a bit due to fast edge speed /youtube netflix/stream video you have to wait for your cycle to re new it takes long and lags/buffs no point...this is in my location in San Diego so place may vary ..plus i get close to 5GB a month anyways.. i had 5 days till my new cycle starts and i pushed my data over 5GB to see if i get better speeds on LTE compare to 3G when throttled.. i guess 3G throttled gets better speeds compare to LTE throttled..funny thing is that still says LTE on the status bar when its running at EDGE speeds..DAM you AT&T greedy money hungry company :mad: yes i tried messing with the APN network to trick it to run HSAP+ an still edge speeds..AT&T wants people to cough out unlimited data for more $$$ they tell use use our tiered plan so you wont get throttled down but you will pay extra 10$ if you go over you DATA use.. yes i use wifi at work and home this was a test and its not fun begin throttled :mad: well enjoy you new iphone 5 everyone baby it keep it clean and watch you data use..youtube is a big data killer specially when HD is on..LTE is nice but now you pay the price...the LTE speeds will spoil you:D

now i have a ghetto mod sim for my GS3..need to get a new one:eek: its all taped up:rolleyes:

18. Geckotek, Sep 23, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2012

Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Tried to read that wall of text, but got lost 1/4 way in. If someone cares to give me a tl;dr summary I'd appreciate it. :D

BTW, I'm @ 2.3 GB on the iPhone 5. I might be hitting 5 a bit too quickly. :eek:

Edit: DANG....next cycle doesn't start till 10/9. I'd better watch it.

19. iMaconApple macrumors 6502a

lol im too tried and lazy:D 2.5GB holy cow lots of video streaming or music? LTE must be faster then your wifi lol

20. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Mostly streaming music from iCloud. I decided not to load it all from my PC this time...just for kicks. But I might chicken out if I get so close to 5GB so far away from my billing cycle end.

21. Trek2100 macrumors 6502a

Trek2100

I logged onto my AT&A account and it said that I used (in 3 days) 137.35 of 10,238,976 MB. When I tapped on the information button for LTE Data Basic it said that I have the 9,999GB data plan. If I reach my limit during the billing period, an additional 1KB is automatically aded at a cost of $0. I think I'll be good to go:)

22. ThePreditor macrumors member

I don't....god....what the hell....I hate your generation.

23. Geckotek, Sep 23, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2012

Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Yeah, you're not gonna hit that 5GB anytime soon.

Mine, on the other hand, says 2411.05 of 10,238,976 MB.

For some reason mine (as I've seen for others) says 1MB for $2. Pretty sure it's meaningless anyway since you hit the throttle long before that anyway. Wonder if the difference means something else...like you've been flagged for high usage or something??? Just thinking here....

24. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

Why are you being a jackass? Are you dense? Do you have a point with your response?

Android owners on LTE "unlimited" plans likely hit that threshold over the last 18+ months and posted about it. So far, only one Android user has chimed in on this 10 day old thread.

25. iMaconApple macrumors 6502a

yeah might want to slow it down a bit now you still have ways for a new cycle...i can see your love LTE speeds lol be careful its like crack they will get you hooked on that speed ...we need true unlimited data back:mad: we are grandfathers and AT&T dont respect elders...:mad: