Atv 1 won’t restore to factory settings

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by theslaz, Oct 27, 2013.

1. theslaz macrumors 6502

Had/have a jailbroke Atv 1. Decided to load Xbmc Frodo using the AtvCloner app and a xbmc linux frodo image. This worked; however; I am not happy with how the program works; as it is a memory hog and the Atv just can’t handle it properly. I’m not interested in doing the BCM970015 Crystal HD modification. Therefore, i would like to restore the Atv back to the factory settings. I have tried and I can’t get it to work. This is what I have tried.

1st.: I attempted to put the Atv back to how it was before I tried the Xbmc Frodo hack. I used the AtvCloner app; and my original Boot; Efi; and Recover images that I had saved. This tried to work; but I would always come up with the image of the Atv with a flashing question mark. Telling me that there was no operating system.

2nd.: I attempted to restore the Atv back to it’s factory settings using terminal and 'dd' to image a USB key that will boot the Atv for a v3.0.2 factory restore.

This tried to work; as the Atv would boot up and give me the screen asking what language to use and after choosing; than the factory restore screen. I would choose the option of restoring the Atv to it’s original factory settings. A progress bar would show; but nothing would appear to be happening as the bar would not show progress. The Atv would eventually reboot and the process would start over again. This I tried numerous times; all with the same result!

I am trying this on the original hard drive that is in the Atv and using a mac to program.

Must be doing something wrong.

2. theslaz thread starter macrumors 6502

Tried step 2 again right from scratch; same problem!

3. vancitybeit macrumors newbie

4. dynaflash macrumors 68020

Are you positive you are using your stock recovery image ??? If you are using the atvcloner recovery image it will not work with a stock setup.

Otherwise try again with atvcloner and copy/paste the activity log from it on pastebin.com and link to it here so I can see what atvcloner is doing.

5. theslaz thread starter macrumors 6502

Using my stock image. Tried it again and I have the same problem. From the log; it is basically saying access denied when it comes to creating the restore.

Here is the link to the log.

http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=y7AxMSBz

6. dynaflash macrumors 68020

7. theslaz thread starter macrumors 6502

Just checked “Users and Groups” and shows me as the administrator!

8. dynaflash macrumors 68020

AH, let me guess, you are running OS X Mavericks ? I just upgraded and indeed atvcloner doesn't work on mavericks for some reason. I am looking into it.

In the meanwhile do you have another mac running anything older than mavericks ? It works on anything from Mountain Lion and older.

9. theslaz thread starter macrumors 6502

I wish I could blame it on Mavericks. But I did try the restore before I upgraded to Mavericks and it didn't work. But you made me think; maybe it is my desktop. I will try my laptop and see what happens.

10. dynaflash macrumors 68020

try it. am trying to figure out a fix for mavericks. I was able to restore a stock atv via ML. np.

11. theslaz thread starter macrumors 6502

Ain't happening. Tried on three different computers with no success. It partitions okay; but than the "access denied" errors pop up.

12. dynaflash macrumors 68020

Weird, I can only reproduce on Mavericks.

13. dynaflash macrumors 68020

One thing I don't understand is how you were able to ust atvcloner to get it modified in the first place if you are getting these issues now ? It would not have worked one time then not the next as far as I can tell unless in the meanwhile something changed on your system.