Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

w5jck

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2013
Since the tvOS 15.5 update I have noticed a minor issue in getting Dolby Atmos to work when playing David Attenborough's "Prehistoric Planet" episodes via TV+ on my ATV 4K 2017. I've never had any issues with DA before on any streaming service with my ATV 4K and current setup. Since this docu-series was just released, I have no clue if it would have worked correctly with tvOS 15.4 or earlier, but in 15.5 no sound comes through at all when I first try to view an episode. If I exit out of this series and start another movie or show it works. Then when I again go play a "Prehistoric Planet" episode the sound works fine. A rather odd, but minor issue. I'm just wondering if anyone else encountered this DA issue. I haven't tried to play other DA shows yet to see if it is a more universal issue or just an isolated one.

So again, here is how and when I encounter this issue:

1. Open Apple TV+ on my ATV 4K 2017.
  2. Open and select to play "Prehistoric Planet" episode. (Picture looks great, but no sound.)
  3. Close "Prehistoric Planet" then navigate to and open a different movie or TV show. (Picture and sound both work well.)
  4. Close that show and navigate back to and open "Prehistoric Planet" episode. (Picture and sound both work well now.)
I'll try to remember to repeat these steps but with a different DA show or movie tonight to see if the issue is more wide spread and not just with "Prehistoric Planet" episodes. So far I’ve watched the first 3 episodes and each one has had this issue. Once I get it to work it is okay and the sound never drops out. BTW, changing settings on my ATV 4K and my TV don't resolve the issue. Only going to another show or movie then returning to "Prehistoric Planet" resolves the issue. Rather bizarre...

priitv8

macrumors 68040
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
I do not seem to have problem described by OP.
The preview (swipe up) however has a weird start of dialogue in left speaker and then jumps to center after a second or so. And shows that Atmos is active.

w5jck

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2013
This issue is likely a bug introduced in tvOS 15.5. Sure enough Apple released 15.5.1 today, and as usual didn't explain why. I'll install it later today and see if that corrects the issue.

w5jck

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2013
15.5.1 seems to have fixed the issue I was having. I looked under the Audio settings and I think they changed some of the options, but I’m not sure, but they seemed a bit different from what I saw under 15.5 last night. At any rate my issue seems to be fixed.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
Sure enough Apple released 15.5.1 today, and as usual didn't explain why.

What's new in tvOS 15.5.1​

This update addresses an issue where music could stop playing after a short time.
It's doubtful there were any major audio changes or it would of been addressed in the changelog.

w5jck

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2013
They probably squashed a bug they introduced in 15.5.

w5jck

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2013
Unfortunately, my no sound with Dolby Atmos issue returned last night in TV+. It is only an issue when I first open TV+ and try to play a show/movie that uses DA. I have to back out of the show, try other shows, sometimes fiddle with the settings by toggling them to another setting then toggling them back. Eventually it starts working and then never stops working for the rest of the time I’m in TV+. I never have this issue outside of TV+.

One thing I suspect is that the ATV 4K 2017 isn't seeing the DA soundbar, it is only seeing the Sony Bravia TV's speakers. My setup uses the Sony TV as the hub. The TV is connected to the ATV, Fire TV Cube, and Blu-Ray player via normal HDMI ports. The Sony DA capable soundbar is connected to the TV via HDMI-ARC port on TV. The other devices see the soundbar and use it. The ATV only lists the TV in the list of external speaker sources, it isn't listing the soundbar. Regardless, the TV takes the audio signal from the ATV and passes it to the soundbar. It has worked fine in this setup for 18 months, but suddenly after the 15.5 update it has been contrary with passing DA through the TV to the soundbar. I've checked all the setting a gillion times and they are all correct on the ATV and the TV. It is a relatively minor issue as it always works after a few minutes a messing with it, but it is annoying. Must be a new bug, and 15.5.1 didn't fix it.

Fortunately I rarely watch TV+ because its programming is typically for people 2 or 3 decades younger than me. But it does have some nice movies on occasion and a lot of David Attenborough documentaries that are stunning to view in DV and DA. I highly recommend his latest 5-part series Prehistoric Planet.

Phuz01

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
I discovered over the weekend that none of my movies purchased via Apple TV were playing in 4K or Dolby Atmos. Other content streamed through the Apple TV was playing properly, but every movie that I have in 4K/Atmos plays in HD/Multi-Channel audio. I drove myself crazy troubleshooting the TV, my AV receiver, my Internet connection, and my Apple TV. Apple TV is capable of outputting 4K DolbyVision and Atmos to my TV and receiver, but none of my Apple-purchased content is streaming at that quality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.