Auction of Ronald Reagan's Blood Draws Condemnation

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bradl, May 22, 2012.

1. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I really didn't like the guy, except for the fodder he provided Carson and Letterman, but this is rather tasteless, especially without his or his family's permission.. Clone jokes aside, I really don't know what to say or think of this except that I hope any hospital has the decency to not do this to me without consult.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2012/05/22/153282919/auction-of-reagans-blood-draws-condemnation

BL.

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I could see Romney buying it and drinking it in a campaign ad. ;)

Seriously, that is some crazy ****.

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I'm not sure which is crazier that someone actually kept that or that someone is willing to pay that much money for it.

5. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

Probably might even infuse it into him or herself.

6. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

I think that vial of Reagan's blood will beat Romeny in the election.

7. 184550 Guest

8. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'm not creeped out.

Dead is dead.

If the blood were somehow illegally held then I'd support returning it to the family.

If it's legal to put it up for auction, then best of luck to Jack Donaghy.

:D

9. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

10. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Watch out, the GOP's secret clone lab was established some time ago...

11. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

I don't think Mormons can drink blood. It's like caffeine.

12. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Blood-Stained Presidential Memorabilia

To cite just a few examples:

The blood of Abraham Lincoln is on file at the Camden County Historical Society in the form of small strip of blood-soaked bedding on which assassinated President died on April 15, 1865. Sheets, pillow cases, blankets, handerchiefs and other items soaked in his blood were cut up and bestowed as honors on members of the cabinet, military officers, high government officials and other Civil War VIPs.

During April 2011, the blood-stained gloves President Abraham Lincoln carried with him the night John Wilkes Booth assassinated him at Ford’s Theatre in Washington D.C., on April 14, 1865, were displayed as "the artifacts of the month" at the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum in Springfield, IL.

The blood-stained double-breasted, strawberry-pink Chanel suit worn by first lady Jacqueline Kennedy on Nov. 22, 1963 in Dallas, the day President Kennedy was assassinated, is sequestered from sight in a vacuum-sealed box in a secure, climate-controlled corner of the National Archive. It will remain locked away and not available for public view until the year 2103.

Two blood-stained pieces of leather from the back seat of the limousine in which President Kennedy was riding when he was shot were offered at auction by Ira and Larry Goldberg. The blood-stained leather was kept as a memento by F. Vaughn Ferguson who was the Technical Service Representative at the White House.

13. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

^ I can somewhat understand retaining such historical artifacts in a Vatican-style private archive. But not on public display.

And a vile of blood for private sale? Like I said, that's just weird.

The Smithsonian should probably seize it under public domain and then stash it away; doesn't sound like it was collected legally, in any rate.

14. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

While I find something funny about that concept, auctioning blood just seems really bad.

15. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Just last month blood-stained blades of grass from Gandhi's assassination sold for 10,000 pounds at an auction in London.

IMO, this shouldn't be all that surprising. When there's money to be made, very little is (or has ever been) considered sacred in the so-called "civilized world".

Society has put more than mere blood on public display in recent times. Consider for example Human Zoos, a practice that continued until the mid-20th Century in Europe, America and Japan.

16. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

A vault containing the blood of Ronald Reagan. Someone call G.I Joe because Cobra's going to raid it. How else can they create Serpentor?

17. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I didn't say I was surprised. Sadly, I'm not.

But the fact that it's in human nature is hardly an excuse in my eyes.

It's far from the worst imaginable exploits, but I find it rather troubling, especially the notion that one can supposedly own and sell the blood of another human without their consent or knowledge.

I realize at this point it's a historical artifact, but it should be donated to an appropriate institution, e.g. The Smithsonian.

18. Happybunny macrumors 68000

This is one of those moments for 'Only in America' ;)

19. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

And again, as they say on /., suddenoutbreakofcommonsense.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpoli.../reagan-blood-update-its-not-for-sale-anymore

Like I said before, I really didn't like the guy's presidency nor his policies (not that I really cared; he took office when I was 6 and all I wanted to do then was go outside and play), but he did provide fodder for Carson and the Dean Martin Celebrity Roasts.. either way, this (the auction) was just plain tacky.

BL.

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I disagree. I see nothing wrong with some rich dude buying his blood. Of course I'm biased because I know some of it would trickle down to me.