Audiable "Click" of hard drive to protect on impact annoying?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by paulobrad, Aug 1, 2009.

1. paulobrad macrumors regular

Got a new MBP last month to replace my white MacBook - loving it as an upgrade but one gripe - if I'm sat using it on my knee I regularly hear the "click" type noise of what I imagine is the protection of the hard drive because it thinks it is being dropped.

I never heard this on my old Mac and while it's not a huge issue it is a bit disconcerting, as though I'm being told off for moving it in a fairly responsible way.

Annoy anyone else or am I hearing something I shouldn't be?

2. theJamie macrumors member

I use my MBP all the time on my lap while I sit on the couch. I never hear clicking noises. If the clicking is excessive then maybe you should bring it in to the genius bar so someone can check it out.

3. paulobrad thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

theJamie; is that a new unibody MacBook Pro from mid-09? Thanks.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I'd rather that my HDD be clicking and protecting my data than my data be lost and my drive die a horrible death. If the sound is really that excessive, then I would take that computer to the store or shop to have it checked out.

5. theJamie macrumors member

Yes, I bought my uMBP about two weeks ago. I have the 500 gb 5400rpm HDD that come standard with the 17" or whatever it is.