Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pEZ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 2, 2003
Madison, Wisconsin
This problem just befuddles me.....

Sometimes, the balance between my speakers just changes without me telling it to on my iMac. This usually happens right after I restart my computer, just every once in a while - is there a reason that this is happening, or should I just live with it and reset it whenever it happens?

jimthorn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2003
Huntington Beach, CA, USA
I've noticed that a few times. It hasn't happened for a while now, and I was never able to nail down what caused it, but I do agree that it's annoying.

Actually, until now I assumed it was related to plugging/unplugging headphones into the AV port of my old iBook 600MHz. Because it could be used for audio or TV video, if you didn't plug/unplug fast enough, it sometimes thought you plugged in video and the computer got confused. Also, putting the computer to sleep with headphones plugged in, then unplugging them, and then waking the computer sometimes caused unusual things to happen (weird display resolutions, for instance).

But since you have an iMac, it must be a misbehaving app or the OS itself. Let me know if you figure it out. I'm quite curious.

Also, did you check the console log?

pEZ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 2, 2003
Madison, Wisconsin
I have a feeling it still has a relation to the un/plugging of headphones, though I'm still not sure why. I have Creature speakers in the headphone jack most of the time, and then unplug them to use headphones if need be.

And as I don't remember exactly when it happened, the console log offers little to no help.

jimthorn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2003
Huntington Beach, CA, USA
Hey, thanks. That Knowledge Base article pretty much explains it...

"In some cases the audio balance may unexpectedly drift towards the left or right channel. This can happen if you rapidly press the volume up or down keys while the computer's microprocessor is under heavy load."

I guess that's why it used to happen to me, but hasn't happened in a long time. I must not be doing that any more. Now that I think about it, I used to have the volume up all the way listening to music, then as I inserted my headphones, I'd rapidly hit the Volume Down button so I didn't blast my ears. Interesting...

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
Thats not as bad as my PC with SB Audigy, everytime I play a game that does not support 5.1 sound it changes to stereo and I have to change it back. My dolby pro logic software decoder also keeps on turning on which can be annoying because the sounds come out all wrong if it is not a dolby pro logic sound being played.

While we are on the topic of sound I have found that the sound quality in iTunes is not as good as if I play the files in Quicktime. I have all the lastest software and audio effects and presets are turned off in iTunes. Does anyone have any ideas? (I have a PB G4 550 and OS X 10.2.6 + iTunes 3.0.1)

frescies

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
HAH!!!

That's always bugged me too!!! I also was convinced (without evidence) that it had SOMETHING to do with pluging in/unplugging headphones. I guess it sorta does, as I always change the volume when I go back and forth from speaker to headphones. The problem affects my imac and my ibook (both of which I love) and I hope it will be fixed in panther. I guess I will press the volume keys more slowly from now on.

pEZ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 2, 2003
Madison, Wisconsin
Does this mean that because I'm folding, I can't ever press the volume keys very fast, or for that matter, use my PowerMate as a volume knob? Ick. Panther, we're waiting.......

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.