Audio editing a few seconds of an iMovie clip

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rye9, Aug 14, 2010.

1. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

I took a video on my iPhone 4, uploaded it to my computer, and imported it into iMovie so I can edit the sound. At a few points throughout the one minute clip, my voice is overbearingly loud since I'm holding the phone nearest to me... and I'd like to adjust the sound (I guess simply decrease the volume?) at these few points where my voice overpowers the rest of the video... so as to make it less awkward for myself, really... before I share the video with any of my friends and family. How would I go about this to just edit the volumes of a few short segments?

2. Mac In School macrumors 65816

Two options...

1. Quick and dirty: Split the clip at the in/out points of the area you want to edit. Control-click the spots you want to split, then adjust the audio of the needs-to-be-edited part in between the splits.

2. The long, but better, way: Export the movie and bring it into GarageBand. Click the triangle in the track listing to show the automation track. Add points by clicking on the line at the points where you want the changes to occur. Adjust accordingly.

3. rye9 thread starter macrumors 65816

rye9

Well, I've never used garageband before so I guess I'll opt for the first route... however, I don't really understand the iMovie instructions. I control clicked a segment that I want, and the menu that comes up doesn't seem to have the option to edit just that segment. Maybe I'm blind though...

Attached Files:

4. rye9 thread starter macrumors 65816

rye9