Audio problem Recording band concerts with Canon VIXIA HD HG20

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by eseminario, May 15, 2010.

1. eseminario macrumors member

Hello friends,
    i've just bought my canon hd hg20 to record band concerts. I've recorded my first project yesterday and when even the video quality is great, the audio is really terrible! I was 30 meters far from the stage and my audio is terrible.
    I didnt use any external mic, only the internal and settings at max quality ( 24 mbps). Is any settings issue? Or I should buy an external mic ( if so, please let me know which one or any advice).

I must record a full concert next saturday, and this concert is "the one life time" concert, so, if I need something to buy or change before saturday please help me.
    Thabk you

2. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I would personally recommend plugging your camera into the venue's PA system, via a control surface. Thats what I do. And then maybe have an extra microphone to pick up an extra bit of audience.

3. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

ZOOM H2 or H4 plus an external mic

I do this stuff all the time. Here is what I do.

1. Use a ZOOM H2 or ZOOM H4 to record the audio coming out of the sound board. THis is your back up and dubbing track if need be.

2. Get an external mic ASAP, especially if you have to have this right. You will have way more control with an external. depending if you are going to be doing this lots, a good external mic is KEY. A shure shotgun mic is nice.

4. eseminario thread starter macrumors member

Thabk you for your input!

What about using an external mic less 200 usd?
    The shotgun is around 900 ...I know the great quality worth...but Im looking for something around 200,...what brand/model?

Thabk you